Chapter 21: Picnic

I woke up to the sun's rays beating down on my eyes. Today would be the day of the picnic with Alois. I think he would have fun with what I have planned. I ran a quick bath and cleaned my wings. I picked out a dress with an open back and put on leggings under it. I put my black waist length hair in two pigtails and braided it so it wouldn't get in the way. It was still early so I decided to look for Claude.

I looked into the kitchen and spotted him. "Good morning, my lady. Why are you up so early?" Claude said while continuing to make food for the picnic.

"Nothing is wrong with an early start, I wanted to see if you needed help with anything." I said as I continued walking toward him.

"No, I don't need any help. You can go elsewhere until it's time to go." He stated chopping carrots.

"Hmm.. I see." I went into the cupboards looking for the necessary ingredients for apple pie. "Is Alois allergic to anything?"

"No. May I ask what you are making?"

"My 'famous' apple pie. Aha.." I mixed flour, butter, some salt, and sugar in a bowl then mixed in the water and cut it in half once mixed. Flouring the surface of the cutting board I started rolling out the dough. I finished rolling it and put the dough into a pie plate. Finishing the crust I put the pie in the oven. In this time Claude was finished with whatever he was making and I assumed he went to wake up Alois. Peeling and cutting the apples I combined them with sugar and cinnamon. By this time the crust was half way done and I went to check on it. I took it out the oven and carefully layered the apples in it, all that was left was to leave it bake for twenty more minutes.(idk how to make apple pie ok)

I just sat at a table in the kitchen since I had nothing better to do and drank some tea. I looked at the time and the pie was almost done and it was almost time to leave for the picnic. 'Perfect timing' I took the pie out of the oven happy about how it turned out, sprinkled the top with cinnamon, and covered it so nobody would see how it looked yet.

"Claude would you come here, please?"

"Yes, m'lady what is it?"

I picked up the pie which had cooled off a bit. "Could you put this in the picnic basket? Thanks don't look at it yet. Also what time are we leaving?" I looked at the time and it was a few minutes past eleven.

He took the pie from me. "We will be leaving at eleven ten so five minutes."

"Yes, I'll get my things and meet you at the front." I walked out of the kitchen and back into my room fixing my hair and grabbing my scythe. I then walked back into the the main hall where Alois and Claude were waiting. "Sorry if I made you wait."

"It's ok (Y/n), you're right on time! Also why are you bringing that? We have Claude and he can protect us."

"Ah.. Yes well.. Just encase."

"Ok, let's go!" Alois pulled my hand until we got in the carriage and then told me to sit by him. "What were you doing this morning, (Y/n)? You smell like apples and cinnamon."

I giggled. "I was baking something for the picnic. I think you'll like it. Oh, are you afraid of heights Alois?"

"No, why?"

"No reason." The rest of the carriage ride was just filled with random small talk between the both of us.

"Your highness, we are here."

"Yay! C'mon (Y/n)!" Alois grabbed my hand and jumped out of the carriage. He ran out in the empty field and lay in a patch of grass. "Do you ever wonder how it feels to be up there? Completely free."