04. Normal

I braided my hair and slipped on my glasses. I ran out and headed for the Firehouse. I couldn't wait to see Otis. I hadn't seen him since our date and I was itching to see him.

I went into the locker room and was in the process of taking off my shirt when Otis walked in. He froze and stared at me.

"Yes?" I asked, grabbing a new shirt.

"Didn't know you were half-naked," Otis said, looking away. "Sorry about that."

"It's alright," I said, slipping on my shirt. "What's happening so far?"

"Nothing," Otis said. "We haven't had any calls yet, so it's been pretty quiet. We have breakfast ready if you want something to eat."

I nodded. "Great. I'm starving. What's there to eat?"

Otis shrugged. "Some bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs."

I made a sound of disgust. "I hate scrambled eggs."

"Why?" Otis asked.

I shrugged. "Texture thing, I guess. It tastes weird to me. Let's go. I'll eat whatever."

We joined the others and I grabbed a sausage. I hopped up onto the counter and watched the others. Gabbie came over and leaned against the counter next to me.

"I saw you walk in with Otis," Dawson said. "Anything happening?"

"We went on a date on Friday," I said. "It was pretty fun. We went out to an ice cream shop and a walk around a park."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Dawson asked.

I smiled. "It didn't come up, I guess. We actually have a date after shift today. I don't know what we're doing but I hope it's fun."

Dawson smacked my thigh. "I hope it goes well. Maybe you go down on him. He needs it."

She sipped her coffee and I laughed.

I leaned in close so no one could hear. "It might be sooner than that. The showers are free, aren't they?"

Dawson's jaw dropped and she stared me, wide-eyed. "Guadalupe, you just got here!"

I laughed loudly, drawing attention to us. Otis came up and grab a cup of coffee. He smiled at me, a certain twinkle in his eyes.

"Hey, Otis," I said.

Otis leaned against the counter next to me. "Hey, Lupe. What kind of coffee do you like?"

"I don't like coffee," I said.

"What keeps you going then?" Otis asked.

"Spite."

Dawson stepped away. "I'll see you guys around. Don't go too rough."

I laughed and looked backed at Otis. He looked like a deer in headlights.

I tapped his arm. "Don't worry, Otis. It'll be fine."

"Does she know?" Otis asked.

"About what?" I asked. "We didn't do anything besides go on a date. There's nothing to worry about."

Otis nodded. "I'll see you after shift, right?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Got anything special planned?"

"Yeah," Otis said. "Wear something nicer too."

"Ooo," I said. "Taking me somewhere fancy?"

Otis shrugged, smiling sheepishly. "I wanted to treat you."

"Don't spend too much, Otis," I said. "I don't want you to break the bank."

Otis shook his head. "We aren't. My friend is having a semi-formal party and I can have a plus one. I want to take you."

"Oh thanks," I said. "I'd like that. I'll make sure to look nice."

"You always do, Lupe," Otis said.

I smiled. "Most people call me Martín. I don't really know why that became a thing though."

Otis smiled. "I like it."

The intercom went off before I could respond. I slipped off the counter and headed for the truck. I pulled on my jacket and climbed in.

Otis climbed in front and sat beside me. He placed a hand on my thigh and smiled at me. The ride was silent and when we got there, I was greeted by a crash scene.

I was sent to pull a woman out of a car with Joe. We pulled the door off and put a neck brace on her. We carried her to the ambulance and continued helping the others.

We were done within two hours and we were heading back to the station. We joked around and laughed a ton.

The truck parked and I got off, slipping off my jacket. I hung up my jacket, Otis joining me.

"Almost time for our shift to end," Otis commented.

I smiled. "I can't wait. I've gotta few dresses to try on."

Otis smiled widely, looking at me. "I'm sure. The party is at seven o'clock. I'll pick you up at six thirty. Is that alright?"

I nodded. "Of course. I'll be ready by then." I kissed Otis's cheek. "I'll make sure to look as nice as possible. You have to too. I don't want to be the one overly dressed."

Otis chuckled, scratching the back of his neck. "I wouldn't do that to you."

"Let's go into the common room," I said. "I brought a deck of cards."

Otis and I left the coat room and joined the others. I sat down at the table and started shuffling the deck of cards. Cruz, Dawson, and Kasey joined the group to play.

I dealt the cards and we played until the bell rang. I sighed and got up, heading out with the guys. I sat across from Otis and I winked at him. He smiled and blushed, looking down. I loved teasing Otis. I was starting to like this place.