05. Morning

It was finally my date night with Otis and I was nervous. My hands were shaking and I didn't know what would happen.

I put in some earrings and checked myself over in the mirror. I wore a nice dark gray dress and a nice necklace. I looked nice for the thing we were going to.

I heard a knock on the door. I answered the door and smiled when I saw Otis. He was dressed nicely too. Otis smiled at me and looked over me.

"You look very nice, Lupe," Otis complimented. "That's a very nice dress on you."

My smile grew wider. "Thanks, Otis. I just need to put on some shoes and then I'll be ready. You can come inside."

I stepped inside to grab my heels and sat on the couch. Otis came in but waited by the door. Once I got my shoes on, I stood up and left the house with Otis.

He drove me to where the party was and we got up. I tucked my arm into his as we walked up to the apartment. We were welcomed in and I got to meet some of Otis's friends.

We were there until midnight. Otis and I left, getting into his car. I yawned, feeling exhausted.

"Tired?" Otis asked.

I nodded. "I haven't stayed up this late in a while."

"My place is closer," Otis said. "You can crash there."

I rested my head against the window. "Sure. I wouldn't mind."

Otis reached over and grabbed my hand. He smiled at me and I weakly smiled back. I fell asleep on the ride there and woke up while Otis was carrying me into his apartment.

I yawned and grabbed a fist full of Otis's shirt. He smiled down at me as he pushed the door open.

"Good morning, Guadalupe," Otis murmured.

"Morning," I muttered, my eyes squeezing shut as the light turned on. "Why are your lights so bright?"

Otis kicked the door shut. "You're just tired. Don't stress your eyes too much."

Otis carried me into his bedroom and laid me down. He walked out and I sat up, slipping off my dress. I pulled the blankets over my body and sighed as I inhaled the smell of the bed.

Otis came in and undressed before laying down. I rolled over and cuddled up against him. Otis gently kissed my forehead and rubbed my back.

I fell asleep easily and woke up in the morning, Otis missing. I stretched and moaned softly. I sat up and grabbed my phone. It was completely dead.

I found a discarded shirt of Otis's and slipped it on. I left the bedroom and found Otis in the kitchen. Cruz was helping with breakfast.

Otis smiled when he saw me. "Hey, Lupe."

Cruz turned around and smiled, glancing over my body. "Nice shirt, Martínez. How was last night?"

I sat in a chair at the breakfast chair. "It was fun. I had a great time."

"I heard you guys come in late," Cruz said. "I didn't hear anything else."

I laughed. "We were tired and I was already half asleep when we arrived. Otis even had to carry me inside."

"Which I heard the lack of heels coming in," Cruz said. "Don't be too loud next time."

Otis glared at Cruz. "Joe doesn't mean anything by that."

Joe smiled. "I'm just teasing. Hungry?"

I nodded. "I'm always hungry when I get up."

Joe set a plate in front of me and I started eating. Otis filled a plate for himself and sat beside me. He placed a hand on my leg and looked at me, his eyes filled with love.

I smiled at him and continued eating. It felt natural to be with Otis. Like I had found a home in someone. I had been alone in Chicago but Otis came and he made me feel less lonely.

Once we finished breakfast, I changed back into the dress from the night before. Otis helped me zipped up the dress and he kissed my neck when he was done. I giggled and elbowed him softly.

"Let's go," I said, gathering my hair up and putting it in a bun. "I need to change and get ready for today."

Otis grabbed a discarded jacket off the ground. "I've never been to your apartment."

I left the room with him. "I've only been on two dates and I've just come to the firehouse. We've only known each other for a few weeks."

Otis grabbed his keys as we left. "I think it'll be fine. Your apartment is probably alright."

"It's a shitstorm," I said. "It's so messy it's not even funny."

Otis laughed as he unlocked his car. "I don't doubt it. Let's go."

We left and soon arrived at my apartment. I led Otis up to my apartment. It was a mess, as usual, and I ignored it. Otis stood at the door, looking around.

I kicked a pile of clothes aside. "I told you it was a mess."

Otis looked around. "It's fine. I don't really care."

"Good," I said, heading for my room. "I'll only be a second. Make yourself comfortable."

I unzipped my dress and tossed it aside. I dug around for some clothes to wear. I found a white shirt, black pants, and a camo coat. I slipped those on and pulled my hair out of the bun and brushed it out.

 I slipped those on and pulled my hair out of the bun and brushed it out

I put on a pair of tan heels before joining Otis outside. He was sitting on the couch, scrolling through his phone. He looked up, smiling.

Otis stood up. "You look great. Wanna head over to Molly's?"

I checked my phone. "Sure. I'm in the mood for a beer."

"Good," Otis said. "Let's go. We have some good food there too."

"Ooo," I said. "Sounds fancy. We might need some food."

"We just ate," Otis said, smiling a little.

I shrugged. "We might be there for a while. Let's go. I want to see the famed Molly's."

With that, we left my apartment and headed to Molly's.