Memories #3

That day was fun.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

It was late August, the sun was bright, high in the sky. Little kids biked around the neighborhood, played in their backyards. Elderly people would be outside, chilling underneath the shade of the porch. This was the kind of day for ice cream and going to the park, to live a little before school started. I'd be going to 11th grade by September, and spending time outside would soon become a privilege. 

Unfortunately, I didn't want to go outside. And with the exception of going on a run every morning at around 9 (to stay in shape), I didn't like to go outside in the summer, which my parents highly disliked. (And they also disliked how my sister never visited home anymore. As a 22-year-old and living away from home with her boyfriend, she hardly ever spoke to my family anymore, only sending a text every holiday and visiting once a year during Christmas)

So my parents were always trying to find ways for me to get outside, from grocery shopping to going to the park for 'family bonding time'. Which to be honest, never really worked, because I'd always find a way out of it. 

I didn't hate the outside, but inside, with my hot chocolate and AC and laptop, it was enough to make me happy.

So I stayed inside.

Yet that day, that hot, summer day, you managed to drag me out of my house, into your car, onto an hour-long car trip, and all the way to Six Flags.

Oh, the things I'd do for you.

We went on the rollercoasters, Superman and Cyclone being my personal favorites and you took a liking to the Riddler. Both of us loved roller coasters, spending most of our time on them, making sure to try every one.

We also went on the other rides, like Scream, Harley Quinn, and Tomahawk.

But there was one ride that you hated.

And by hate, I mean you were scared out of your mind.

I remember when I first asked you if you wanted to go on the swings.

You paled and frantically shook your head.

"C'mon, please?" I begged you.

You gave in to it, although only because I wouldn't stop pestering you about it.

Thankfully it was the two-person seater. As the two of us got situated on the swings, I could hear your heart beating. It sounded like a bass, thumping loudly.

"I'm here with you..." I whispered to you, holding your hand.

I think you looked less terrified by the time we were up in the sky. I was whooping and yelling, and you actually smiled (it was a tense smile, but a smile nonetheless).

When we got off, you fell the ground dramatically and tried to hug it, all the while yelling, "Oh, sweet land, how I missed you so!"

It was hilarious, and although the people around us seemed to be quite disturbed at the sight of a teenager lying on the ground loudly saying weird things, I found it to be one of the best things I had ever witnessed.

Afterward, we went to the arcade side of the amusement park, playing a game of shooting the water into the dolphin's mouth.

You beat me, by a smidgen, and won a giant dolphin plushie.

When the day ended and we made our way to the parking lot and to your car, you handed me the giant dolphin and kissed me.

It was soft and quick, you pulled away after barely two seconds, and rested your forehead against mine.

"Thanks for coming here with me today", you murmured quietly against my cheek.

That was the first time you had ever kissed me.

I wonder if you still remember it.

Hey to you too,

The dolphin's name is Joshuji, that's what I named it (You know how much I loved Seventeen and Joshua Hong). I have it, on my bed, still giant, and still a dolphin.

That day was amazing, you were so freaked out on the swings. And the scene you caused when we got off? Absolutely priceless. My favorite part was at the end though. I wonder, do you remember what happened then?

~Me?

P.S. Yes, my favorite color is still Prussian blue. I'm surprised you remember.

Sent✔