Memories #10

Saddest, most amazing movie I'd ever watched. Hands down.

Even as an adult now, that movie I watched when I was around 12 is still a memory I cannot forget no matter how much I try. Especially since it was the first movie that I cried watching with my friends at a movie theater.

It was your idea at first, earlier that day the two of us as well as Rieka and Felix were discussing how we hadn't had a "friend day" in forever.

"C'mon, the last time we even did something as a group together was like in fourth grade when we made gingerbread houses at Felix's place! This is the perfect opportunity to have a proper meet-up outside of school and have fun!" 

I remember how you waved your arms animately, an attempt to convince the three of us. 

It was a tempting offer, I had admitted. Felix and Rieka started yelling at me, pleading, "No no no please don't agree!" Regardless of their begging, I was intrigued by the offer. 

How to Train Your Dragon was a movie that I loved when it first came out, and then even after that I was obsessed with the shows, like Riders of Berk and Defenders of Berk. It was captivating, the idea of people and dragons. And Toothless too, I couldn't pass up a chance to see the adorable Night Fury and seeing all the trailers about the movie only made me more curious.

"I'll go," I had said. That was all it took for Rieka and Felix to agree as well. Our group just seemed to work like that. We'd all agree to any incredulous idea, no matter how bad or how weird, so long as more than one person agreed to it. I was the breaker of the argument, in this case, being the second person to be drawn over to your idea.

And we were all glad I had chosen to go as well. Rieka and Felix, the more reluctant out of the four of us, weren't the type to avidly watch movies in theaters. Felix because he liked watching DVD's and having subtitles on, Rieka because...well even now I don't really know. She just never really liked theaters as far as I was concerned.

But the theater we went to this time was amazing. We got to sit in reclining seats and a small table thing on the side that we could push out to put our food and drinks. Sure it costed a little more than usual, but the quality of the seats and all were enough to make the extra money worth it.

We were barely watching the movie at some points, sometimes comparing the villain or a scene to real people and laughing our butts off. It might've bothered some other people in the audience, but the four of us didn't pay attention. We were lost in our own world.

And then we were crying. It started with me, I was always the more emotional one amongst our little quartet, and it was I that triggered you three to shed tears too. I wasn't sure if I was crying or laughing sometimes though, all I knew was that tears were running down my face and I was blabbering and trying to wipe them away with my jacket in my arms. 

Then Rieka started crying. She sat to my right, and at first, she wasn't full on 'tears streaming down my face', her eyes only began watering a bit. When she saw how I was sobbing and clutching my jacket, she let the tears come too. You and Felix followed soon after. 

Walking out of the theater, our eyes a bit blotchy and slightly red, it felt like a dream. My childhood seemed to be closing, a chapter of my life seemed to have come to an end. How to Train Your Dragon: the Hidden World had ripped our childhoods from our hearts and replaced it with the feeling of nostalgia, a realization that it had ended, really ended.

I was satisfied though, content with the movie and how it ended. Although it had been the cause of some serious heartbreak and tears, it was almost pleasing to now know that while one chapter of my life had closed, a new one would be opening. 

And the 'new one' was adolescence and the complicated emotions and relationships of high school.

And you.

Hey to you too,

That was the most heartbreaking movie ever, I feel depressed just thinking about it like actually, that was some sad stuff. I wonder if our friend group will ever have a time like that again, just relaxing and crying and laughing and having the time of our lives while doing something as simple as watching a movie.

~Me?

P.S. That festival still happens annually, but I haven't gone in years. I guess after a while it felt too childish...I still do like the free apples they give out though.

Sent✔