21

Blinking awake, the first thing Wes noticed was that the sharp pain in his chest was gone and instead it was sore.

He was also in an upright position, which he was pretty sure wasn't a good sign.

"Ah, you're awake," a rather relieved voice said. He looked over, seeing a doctor that had clearly been watching his vitals.

Wes nodded slightly, not sure how to respond to that. "What happened?"

"You punctured your left lung very severely. We had to do surgery. Then you were unconscious for a lot longer than we anticipated."

"How much longer?" Wes asked cautiously.

"Four days."

He winced. That wasn't good. "Sorry."

"You woke up, so it's all fine. There's someone who wants to see you."

"Okay."

The doctor checked a few things before leaving. The door opened soon after, the person Wes most and least wanted to see right now walking in.

"I can't believe you're okay. I was terrified," David said softly.

"Well, I'm here."

They were silent for a minute. Then David hit the topic they had been avoiding.

"I meant what I said, you know. I still love you. I never stopped."

Wes hesitated. "How?"

"What do you mean, how?"

"How can you love me? How could anyone?"

David reached over and took his hand. Wes was all too aware that his arms were bare and David could see the scars left by the burns. "Wes, I love you because of who you are. Because you're easy to talk to, you're funny, you're charismatic, you're... I don't know how to not love you."

Wes shook his head. "That's just it, I'm not any of those things."

"Yes, you are. You just can't see it. And why would I lie?"

"I don't think you're lying, I think you're mistaken."

David squeezed his hand. "I'm not, that much I can promise you. Everyone but you and a couple idiots can see it."

Wes knew the couple idiots David was referring to were his parents. He shook his head. "Fine, you win."

They were quiet and Wes could tell something was wrong.

"David?" He looked up at him.

"Yeah?"

"What is it?"

David looked back down. "You can still read me like a book, I see."

Wes just waited.

But David never spoke.