19

Did Wes want to be in the dining hall?

No.

Did Wes have to be in the dining hall?

Yes.

He sat in his usual spot, no other spots being available. He hoped that if he avoided eye contact with the others they'd pretend he didn't exist.

"Wes, can we talk?"

That wasn't working.

He didn't need to look up to recognize the voice that used to make him so happy but now only brought him pain. "Go ahead," he said softly.

They knew. He was going to be mocked for being such a coward and not doing anything.

"Why didn't you tell me? I could have helped you."

"I'm-" he cut off his apology, looking up at David. "Wait, what?"

There was no ridicule in David's eyes, just concern and love. "Wes, you don't deserve what happened to you. It kills me that you were dealing that this whole time and I was completely oblivious."

"I-" Wes shook his head. "I don't understand. I was a complete dick to you."

"I outed you in front of the Warblers," David pointed out. "Besides, that was because of your father."

Wes couldn't think of how to argue that, looking back down at the table. Then he asked the burning question on his mind.

"Why don't you hate me?"

"I can't. I can't hate you, and none of this is even your fault."

"Being a coward and not telling anyone was my fault. Ever agreeing to perform at Sectionals was my fault. Singing that damn song that got videoed was my fault. Dalton nearly burning down was my fault. The Warblers missing a person was my faul-"

"Wes, stop it. It's not your fault. Everything, everything comes back to your father." David paused. "Wait, the lighter was yours?"

He looked back up at David. "Wait, you didn't know? I thought Nick told you guys."

David shook his head. "No, I don't. Why did you have a lighter at Dalton?"

"What did Nick tell you?"

David looked even more worried. "Wes, why'd you have a lighter?"

"What did Nick tell you?" Wes repeated.

"Why did you h-"

"I was burning myself, okay?" Wes interrupted, fed up. "Happy?" He stood up, leaving a shocked David in the dining hall behind him.