PART 22

#Undercover 22

“Excuse me” I say rolling my eyes at Stephanie. “Where is he? Where’s Saddiq?” she asks again. Just as I open my mouth to tell her a lie, Saddiq steps forward saying, “Here I am. What do you want, Steph? How’d you get this address?” She laughs and says “That’s not important. What’s important is your child. He’s already a couple months old and you have yet to see him in person. That’s why I’m here. To give you time to bond with your child. Don’t you want that? Or are you not the man I thought you were?” “You know the man I am. There should be no doubt there. Don’t you dare stand here and act otherwise” Saddiq says pulling me close. I wrap my right arm around his back and place my left hand on his chest. Stephanie moves her eyes from Saddiq down to his chest. The ring! She rolls her eyes and takes a deep breath.

Before she can get any words out, “Brooo!” Trevin yells from the parking lot. Saddiq releases me and squeezes by Stephanie to shake hands with Trevin. “How’d you know I was out, man?” Saddiq asks excitedly. “Ah, you know word travels fast around these parts. What’s upS? How you doing, man?” Trevin asks looking at Stephanie and then me. I look past Trevin and Saddiq. There stands Ginelle. I give her a smile but she doesn’t smile back. Diverting my attention, Stephanie says “So you’re just going to act like I’m not still standing here with the baby?” Saddiq walks over, grabs her arm and pulls her to the side. I stand watch as he whispers something into her ear. She gives off a smirk and repositions the baby.

“Since you think your life is so great, ask your friend over there how I knew where you lived….how I knew you were out?” Stephanie says aloud looking at Trevin. “What’s she talking about, Trevin?” Saddiq says moving closer to Trevin. “Man, she trippin! You know how crazy Steph is. This is nothing new. Don’t let her spoil your return home, bro. Come on!” Trevin says as his voice trembles. “How would she know when I got out and where I live then? Please explain” Saddiq asks as he steps a little closer to Trevin. “He told me because he’s a little bitch! He always has been!” Stephanie says shooting past me as she heads for her car. As she drives off, she rolls down the window and says “I’ll be in touch with you about your son, Saddiq. You haven’t seen the last of us.”

“Trevin, why’d you do that man? You know Stephanie is nothing but trouble. You should have let me handle this on my own terms” Saddiq says. “My bad man. She approached me and I panicked. I didn’t mean to rat you out. That’s my bad” Trevin says with a little more confidence in his voice. “It’s cool man but damn! I haven’t even been able to enjoy my girl and Stephanie pops up on some bullshit. You know what, y’all come on in” Saddiq says ushering Trevin and Nelle into our apartment.