PART 33

#Undercover 33

Hands jittery, I pace the waiting room anxiously waiting for someone to deliver news on Nelle. “You should come sit” Saddiq says. “Babe, I can’t. I just can’t. Not knowing what’s happening is nerve wrecking” I tell him. “They’ll be out soon enough. Come sit with me” Saddiq says holding his hand out to me. Just as I go to sit, “Are you here for Ginelle Roberts?” a doctor asks. “Yes” I reply. “I’m Dr. Thompson. Ms. Roberts is doing fine. She’s awake but still weak. Visitation hours are just about done but you are welcome to come back and see her. You can stay with her through the night as well if you’d like. Follow me. She’s been asking for you” Dr. Thompson says leading the way. “Mo” Nelle says weakly as I walk into the room. I rush to her side saying “Oh, my God! Are you ok? How are you feeling?” “I’m alive” she says, voice sounding scruffy. “Look, I know right now might not be the time to ask this but how did you end up in the pool like that? Did someone do something to you?” I ask. Taking a deep breath, Nelle says “I guess I had one too many drinks. The doctors here said they’ll get me squared away. I’ll be fine. Where’s Taryn? Does she know I’m here?” I grab Nelle’s hands and hold them firmly in mine. “Taryn’s fine. She doesn’t know that you’re here. Along with my children, she’s with my mom. I won’t tell her unless you tell me to” I reply. “Thank you” Nelle says. I nod and say “Get some rest.”

1 Week Later

“You’re such a blessing, Monica” Nelle’s mother says to me as I help her pack. I smile. “Granny, I’m ready to go” Taryn says holding her stuffed bear and blanket. “Thanks for everything. I never meant to intrude on you guys for a year or even ruin your honeymoon. When I’m up on my feet again I promise I will do what I can to make for all of this” Nelle says as we hug. “You don’t owe me a thing, Nelle. You’re my best friend….my sister. I love your child as my own. You go home with your mom and get things together. We’ll come visit often. I promise. I love you” I tell Nelle. “You’re so good and kind hearted. You deserve so much. Please tell Kehlani I say thanks for visiting me in the hospital and that I’ll call her once I’m settled. She was adamant that I call to let her know we’d made it to my mom’s” she replies. “I will. Take care” I say as I wave bye. I stand in our driveway and watch as they ride away. I watch until I can’t see them anymore.

“So, will you guys finally take your honeymoon? You two need this time. You’ve been through so much. Dad and I can hold down the fort for you while you’re away. And work will always be here” Saddiq’s mother, Yvonne, says to us. “You’re right. I go inside and arrange something for us. We can be gone within a day or two” Saddiq says kissing me on the cheek and heading into the house. “Are you ok?” Ms. Yvonne asks. “Yeah, I’m ok. Just worried about Nelle and Taryn is all” I reply. “I know she’s your friend and Taryn is practically your niece BUT Nelle has to find her own way. Maybe going home will allow her to reset her life. Maybe she needs this as a pick-me-up to get back on track. She’ll find her way. In the meantime, you worry about taking a honeymoon with that handsome husband of yours” Yvonne says. I smile and we walk inside.

“Babe, I found us a flight. It leaves first things in the morning. Would you like to do that? Would that work for you?” Saddiq asks running down the stairs. “Tomorrow? Wow, that was fast! Yes, sure! Where are we going Mr. Travel Planner?” I respond. “Well I know our original plan was to go Jamaica but with everything that’s happened as of late, we had to cancel. By the way, we’re getting a full refund for that too. I was thinking that we could go somewhere local. Well, almost local. I booked a trip to Hawaii. We’ll tour the islands. We’ll have a good ol time. We’ll plan something bigger later” Saddiq explains. “Hawaii!? Yeesss!! Let’s do it, babe! I don’t care where we go so long as I’m with you” I exclaim, jumping into his arms.

I tell Ms. Yvonne the details about the trip and run to pack. I even take the time to make sure the house is in order before we go. “Mo!!” Saddiq hollers. I run to the sound of his voice. I’m led out to the back patio. “You drained the pool?” I say to Saddiq. “Yeah, didn’t want to take any more chances. We’ve always been careful with the kids and the pool but after this incident with Nelle I’m letting the water out and covering it up for a while” he says. “Ok. Cool. Is that all you called me out here for or did you want to sneak some sugar?” I joke. “I’m not turning down and kisses from you baby but I did call you out here for a reason. You remember they installed cameras on the property when we moved in last year, right?” Saddiq asks. I nod yes. “Look at this” he says taking my hand. We have a TV on the kitchen counter. He plugs something into the back of it and video footage starts to play. He rewinds until we’re at the night Nelle somehow got into the pool. “There’s she is” I say gasping. “Now, watch this” Saddiq says pointing to the screen.

We both sit and watch as Nelle paces back and forth. She then walks to the pool and steps right in. She doesn’t fight the water or anything. She just sinks down. “What the fuck?” I mumble.

“Maybe this was no accident” Saddiq suggests.

My face frowned, I say to him “You don’t think she tried to commit suicide…do you?”