18. Proving Them Wrong

Try not to be spiteful, my darling. It is an ugly creature. Related to jealousy, having spite can make you do and/or say some nasty things.

It can consume you, wrap your thoughts and even make your inner beauty warped, dark, twisted and turn ugly.

A pretty face can get you places, but its the inner beauty that secures those places.

Always remain pure of heart, it's the best piece of you that people will love about you.

Be kind, always say nice things, always encourage yourself and others.

If anyone is mean or nasty to you, my sweet darling, just smile at them and walk away.
I'm  not saying don't defend yourself, but at first, just keep being nice. No one may see you as nice straight away, but it will get noticed. Being nasty or mean, and you get noticed  straight away, for all the wrong reasons.

Be head strong but not too stubborn. Be persistent, but don't be a bother.
It is a very thin line.

But always, smile. Your smile will light up the world.

April 2019
The past couple months have been extremely lonely. Most nights, I'm in bed by nine, falling asleep with a book on my chest. Some Friday and Saturday nights, I face chat Uncle Seth and Aunty Seline.

Through the days, I spend them dancing. I'm in a production as a 'spare' dancer for minor roles in The Paris Opera Ballet's performances. I sit behind stage, dressed in my costume, in case I am needed, with five other dancers.

So I don't dance, momentarily.

I go to every performance, just in case. I practice just as hard as everyone else. The main cast of Swan Lake, they are rude and mean but I don't pay them any attention.

Isabelle and Marguerite. They were the leading ladies and they were nasty people. Even to their under-studies. They were vicious and cruel women. They played Odette and Odile. And the worst part, they were twins. They did everything together. It was their way or the highway. They thought they were the best.

They usually sneer at the other dancers and make loud and rude comments. Many of the other dancers ignored them, shrugging their shoulders.

I turned to one of the extras sitting next to me as we watched the dance from the side lines.

"Why are they so cruel?" I asked her, forgetting momentarily that I am in Paris and French was their language. The girl turned to me, and smiled.

"They think they are the best. They grew up in France and they have both been with this company since they were both sixteen. They think they are entitled to be mean." She told me. "Just ignore them. They feel threatened when there are new people aboard. Especially when they are not only recommended but brought through by Maxwell Crawford."

There was his name again. I am constantly hearing his name here.

"How did you know? I never said anything."

The blonde next to me smiled again, but a genuine one this time. "People talk." She shrugged at me. "I'm Adeline. But call me Addie."

"Kim."

"I know who you are." She told me. "Everyone does. It has been a few years since someone from Maxwell came through. The last one was five years ago, if I heard the gossip correctly. She was young as well. About twenty. Pretty thing. She proved her worth, worked to the top, in the production of The Nutcracker as Clara. Until her accident."