EIGHT

viii. Unwanted Memories

It was nearing the time for launch

It was nearing the time for launch. In only minutes, Aurora and Finnick would be stood on the Chariot, hands held, bright smiles, waving to the crowds of fans that adored them. Finnick believed it was nothing, just business, but Aurora viewed the situation much more deeply. This was the first time she'd encounter Snow in years of hiding away, scared of what he had to offer. She'd managed to stay hidden for so long, it was only time before she was to get caught.

This was Snow's way of pulling Aurora from under the shadow that had been cast upon her since she had stopped being invited to the Capitol. Aurora was clueless as to why Snow would suddenly stop inviting her to mentor, considering the only other options were Mags and Annie. She was the best option, yet she hadn't gotten called up in years. People had believed she'd somehow died, or gotten ill, and that's why she hadn't visited the Capitol very often. The only times she ever did was discrete, when clients were willing to pay extra to meet with the Capitol Sweetheart.

Everyone was finally going to see she was alright, not dead, but she might as well have been. With all the pain and cracks in her soul, she was broken, nothing left but the body of a small girl who managed to survive, endure all the hurt and damage she'd taken. She was still there, not often, but present.

Just the thought her eyes connecting with the sight of him, after everything he'd done to her, to her family, to Finnick. Aurora wasn't sure whether she'd be able to keep her cool composure up. She knew the sight of him would be similar to that of a truck running her over.

She approached the small group representing District Four, who stood near their chariot. They all seemed to be having a very merry conversation by the sight of Mags's bright smile, and the sound of Ace's chuckling. Her mind wondered how they could be so happy when Aurora was bubbling with anxiety.

"Good job Finnick, with one encounter you've managed to freak out the Girl on Fire," Aurora remarked as she joined the group. Finnick visibly lit up, once again as she appeared. No one, except Dakota, had noticed. Everyone else was interested in her outfit.

"Wow, Aurora. I haven't seen you put effort into an outfit in years." Ace joked, Aurora's eyes rolling. "You really did well with this one Dakota. They're going to have women and men dropping dead with their looks."

"Why thank you, but these are my favorite victors if I must admit." Aurora gave her a flattered smile. Dakota praised them as if they were higher beings, which seemed ironic since they were at the lowest possible level. They were completely controlled, not having much freedom to do anything.

Ace agreed with the talented designer, before furrowing his brows curiously. "Wait, what did Finnick do this time?"

Aurora smirked, mischievously. "Finnick tried to flirt with the infamous Girl on Fire and failed miserably. You were lucky I was there to save you." Her eyes turned from Finnick to Ace and Mags. "Apparently, he thinks he can charm anyone."