NINE

ix. The Past

The group of District Four representatives sat around the table, enjoying the Capitol cuisine

The group of District Four representatives sat around the table, enjoying the Capitol cuisine. After Aurora had returned to the apartment, she rested, gaining back the energy she once had before the tribute parade. It drained her, emotionally and physically. She could only imagine how the next few days were going to go for her.

Training was going to begin the next day. Ace believed it was best to begin talking strategies to further their chances for sponsors and potential allies. Aurora knew allies were going to be difficult to come by since she had befriended most the other tributes. The idea that she'd soon have to murder those who treated her so kindly, gave her an unsettling feeling in her stomach.

"I spoke with Haymitch." Ace piped up, breaking the silence. "He has a plan."

Finnick glanced at Aurora, before placing his utensils down. "Well, what is it?" Finnick trusted Haymitch, not because they were close, but because he and Aurora were close.

"He wants you guys and a select few others to protect the Girl on Fire, as well as her husband." Aurora furrowed his brows. Was this how Haymitch planned to keep his tributes alive, ask everyone else to protect them?

"Why exactly would we do that? I mean, sure I am a fan of her, but, isn't the point for us to be the last one standing?" As much as she'd like to admit, she'd kill Katniss and Peeta in a heartbeat if it came down to that. It was either her or Finnick, no one else

"I can't exactly give you all the details at this moment." He looked around as if people were listening. "But just trust me. Snow's main priority is to get Katniss killed, hell, I'm sure that's the whole reason for this Quell, but you can't let her die in that arena. If you want to figure more out, I suggest you speak with Haymitch for yourself." His voice was oddly quiet. It was obvious this was supposed to stay out of the ears of the Capitol, by the way, he looked at the Avoxes in the room and even Elodie who luckily didn't seem to be paying very much attention to her tributes.

"If Snow's out for Katniss, why is Peeta included?" Finnick questioned.

"Because they are in love. Katniss wouldn't win without Peeta. Haymitch promised to keep him alive." He explained. Aurora thought of their situation, it was very similar to hers. Sure, her and Finnick weren't married, but they've known each other their whole lives, longer than Katniss and Peeta knew of each other's existence.

"What's in it for us?" Aurora asked, still slightly unconvinced. She was all up for protecting her to an extent but keeping her alive, that's what left her uncomfortable.

"So much. Just please, befriend her, get her as an ally. It will be better for both of you."

"Well then, leave it to me to get her as an ally. Finnick doesn't seem to be very good at that." Finnick chuckled at her comment. Aurora always did seem to lighten to mood, well for him at least.