12

Throughout the next several hours, even more people catch the illness. I'm worried that everybody will get it, and all of us will die. I'm helping Finn and Octavia take care of those that are sick. Since Bellamy became infected, he sent Jasper to blow up the bridge. He's already left with a tiny group. Vivian wanted to go, but he refused to let her. She's out trying to hunt, because she has no idea how to deal with sick people and we need somebody to hunt. She swore to Jasper that she'd stay within a mile and a half of camp.

My father was a nurse, so I know the basics of caring for people medically. Clarke is infected, but has helped us a bit in caring for the sick. We're sort of blindly going at it, since Octavia returned from the grounders with news that it cannot he cured. Apparently, it doesn't last too long and isn't that fatal. Tell that to the ones that are already dead just outside the ship.

Dusk is settling when Viv returns with a baby deer that's still twitching.

"I couldn't kill it. It didn't die the first time I stabbed it." She's crying. She sniffles and stares at the animal.

I frown and Finn walks over.

"He's suffering." He states. He takes the knife from Vivian and, without thinking, stabs the animal in the neck. When the fawn is taken care of, she produces two large birds. A couple of healthy people volunteer to cook them. She hands them over and looks at me.

"Now what can I do?" she questions. I don't want her inside of the drop ship, because she could catch the sickness that's just breeding in the air. Finn and Octavia are immune, and I'm pretty sure that I am as well. Otherwise, we would have caught it by now. We've done nothing but touch and help the ones infected.

"Can you clean the rags we've been using? You won't get sick, but we're almost out of clean ones."

She agrees and I grab a basket, tossing the blood soaked cloths into it before handing it to her. She walks off with the heavy basket and I walk back into the ship. After taking a few steps, I get dizzy and stumble over my feet. I have to steady myself against a wall.

"Adrian? Are you feeling okay?" Finn asks me.

"Yeah." I say. "Why?"

"You don't look like you're feeling good. You're, like, super pale." He answers. I shrug, then I get shivers.

"Woah! Adrian, don't touch anything." He bursts. I jump.

"Why?"

"Your eyes."

Like Bellamy earlier, I touch the skin just beneath my eye. When I pull my finger away, it has bright, warm blood on it.

"I'm fine." I comment. He walks over to me and grabs my hand.

"Come here." He leads me to a corner and lays me down, smoothing an orange blanket over my body.

"Finn, I'm okay. I need to help-"

"You can't help if you're sick, too. They'll just be exposed to it." He reasons. I sigh, because he's right.

"Why don't you take a nap, honey? You look exhausted."

I nod, closing my eyes and allowing myself to fall asleep.

When I wake back up, Vivian is standing over me.

"Viv, get out of here!" I cough up a small spot of blood. "You'll get sick!"

"I've been in here for hours." She giggles. "I feel fine."

"I did, too! It's a sudden thing."

"I'm fine, Adrian. Here, drink some water." She hands me a small cup filled with clean water. I swallow it in gradual sips.