CHAPTER 15

GRAYSON POV

"Yeah, about that," Julia starts and sits on my bed. "We need to talk."

I get nervous after she's been so distant all day.

"What's wrong?" I ask and sit next to her.

"Well," she says, looking nervous. I've never seen her this nervous.

"I'm back together with Nate," she finally says and my heart stops.

"What?" I ask, raising my eyebrows. "Why?"

"Because of our dads," she sighs. "My dad wanted to see me this morning and told me that Nate's father was a big deal in his next project and he needed his support."

"So?" I say, and I feel myself getting angry. "What does that have to do with you?"

"I know," she sighs, looking down at her feet. "But Nate's dad won't cooperate if we're not together."

I look at her in disbelief. What is this bullshit?

"Look, I don't expect you to understand," she says, now looking me in the eyes. "Especially after I met your mom."

"Excuse me?" I say outraged as I get up from the bed. "Are we not rich enough for you?"

She looks surprised and shocked.

"No, no, that's not at all what I meant?" she says. "I mean that your mom is warm and welcoming. You're not used to this bullshit." 

"It sure is bullshit," I sigh and shake my head.

"I'm sorry," she says. "I don't think we can be seen be seen in public or anything."

I nod. A million thoughts going through my head.

"Well, it's not as if we're boyfriend and girlfriend," I say, mostly convincing myself.

She chuckles. "No, not at all."

"So just so you know, Nate and I are together but not for love or anything," she smiles at me. "We can still be friends on Saturday if you want?"

"Sure," I say. "We have to be there anyway."

She laughs. "That's true."

We sit in silence for a while. There is nothing I want more than to kiss her now. I don't know what's going on with me. 

"Listen," she eventually says. "It's not as if we're a thing and I don't think that we should move this fast."

I look at her, confused.

"What do you mean?" I ask but I feel like I don't like the answer anyway.

"I mean that I feel like we're moving too fast," she says. "Just because we decided to be friends Saturday and had sex straight away..."

She pauses and bites her lower lip.

"I just don't know how I feel about you yet," she almost whispers. 

"It's okay," I smile. "I guess I have to figure some things out too."

She nods and gets up. 

"I should go," she says. "And I have to be a bitch to you at school, okay?"

I chuckle. "Sure," I say and she walks to the door, but turns around.

"Oh and by the way, we're not exclusive or anything, so feel free to do what you want," she winks and she's gone, leaving me confused. I hear her say goodbye to Ethan and later to my mom and the front door closes. After a minute or so Ethan comes in. I'm still standing in the middle of my room.