CHAPTER 16

JULIA POV

It's Saturday again. The rest of the week went by and I have avoided both Grayson and Ethan. Ethan has texted me a few times that avoiding won't work but on Thursday he stopped trying. I went on a 'date' with Nate on Friday, which was actually quite nice. Today I have to face Grayson again and I'm more nervous than ever. 

I open the doors to my closet and decide to wear a simple white t-shirt and a green checkered skirt. I fix my hear in a high ponytail and put on some light mascara and chapstick.

"Miss Julia," I hear a soft voice after knocking on my bedroom door. "You have to be ready or you'll be late for detention."

I get my bag and open the door, greeted by our cleaner.

"Thank you," I smile at her. "I'll go now."

She gently squeezes my arm and gives me a soft smile. I return the favor and walk away.

"Remember," she says before I was able to walk down the stairs. "Everyday is a new opportunity to make something great of it."

I chuckle and thank her. I get to my car and drive to school. As I park my car I notice Grayson's car is already there. I check the time. 7:50. He must be early. I get inside and walk to the room.

"Hey," he greets me. I smile at him and sit next to him.

"How was your week?" I ask him.

"Fine," he shrugs.

After 5 minutes Mr Green comes in, surprised seeing us already there.

"Good to see that you're early," he smiles. "Ready for another day of essay writing?"

We groan and he laughs. He hands us pencils and paper.

"Then please do it for me," he smiles. "I might let you go early if you do."

He walks out of the room and Grayson begins writing straight away. I notice his hand is all bruised up.

"What happened to your hand?" I ask worriedly.

"Don't worry about it," he growls at me. I raise my eyebrows in surprise but decide to leave it. 

We worked on our essays in silence. After 2 hours Mr Green came in again to tell us we could have a break. I got the feeling that Grayson didn't want to talk to me so I went outside by myself. I get outside and sit on the stairs, lighting a cigarette and grab my phone. I scroll through Instagram. After 2 minutes Grayson comes outside and sit next to me, lighting a cigarette as well.

"I guess we can't be friends on Saturday now too?" He asks.

"I don't see why," I shrug. "But you've been distant to me all day, Dolan."

He looks at me and sighs.

"You've been avoiding me all week, Hastings," he says annoyed.

I look away. I was hoping he didn't notice.

"You probably thought I didn't notice, huh?" he says, still looking at me. I nod.

"Whenever you saw me or E you just ran off the other way," he says. I notice some sadness in his voice.

"Yeah, well," I start. "It's easier than being a bitch to you."

He scoffs and shakes his head.

"What's the real reason, Julia?" He says.

"That's the reason," I lie. I don't want to tell him.

"Don't lie to me," he growls as he comes closer.