Chapter 13: Activation part 1

"Oh my god." Jen muttered. She felt the cold stone of the tank against her upper back. But this didn't strike her as much as what she had just found out.

"This can't be happening." Jen said. She drew in a deep breath. "I'm pregnant."

Jen placed her hand on her lower belly. She had noticed she gained some weight and tried to shed it, but she kept gaining it. She had decided on buying the pregnancy test just to make sure, knowing it was nothing.

But now it was something.

After Jen pulled on some clothes she went out onto the balcony. It was a pleasant 72 degrees outside, but Jen didn't care.

A knock came at her door. "Jen?" Katie's voice called from outside the door. With no response, Katie walked in and saw Jen sitting outside on the balcony. "Jen..." She saw her outside, her face was emotionless. "Jen, is everything okay?" Katie asked.

Jen shook her head. "I wish it was." Her voice was barely above a whisper.

Katie knew exactly what it was. "Don't worry, Jen. Lance is a big kid. He can take care of himself." Katie sat next to Jen, trying to comfort her.

"It's not that I'm not worried to death, but this time it's not him." Jen said slowly.

Katie gave her a confused look. "What do you mean?" Jen didn't answer her right away.

"Can you keep a secret, Katie?" Jen asked.

"Of course! We've been best friends for how long?" Katie smiled. Jen had no response. "Well?" Katie asked.

Jen remained silent for a few moments. Before Katie asked again, Jen spoke.

"I...I'm pregnant." Jen said. Katie's eyes widened.

"Oh my...Jen." Katie didn't know what to say. "It's Wes's I hope."

Jen laughed quietly. "Of course." She paused.

"How far into the pregnancy are you?" Katie asked.

"A month, I think. I'm just hoping it's too early to tell. But the test wasn't as accurate is it would be in our time." Jen whispered. In the year 3009, doctors could tell right away if a couple was going to have a baby. It was no way compared with tests in his time. The test consisted of a piece of paper with tow little lines. This was nowhere near as accurate as tests were in the future.

"You know my mom is a doctor, maybe it is. After all, according to Mom only 85 of all pregnancies actually make it to the second month." Katie said.

"I thought I did everything right." Jen said. Her eyes were unfocused.

"Yes, by not having sex for a while." Katie joked. Jen didn't laugh.

"After I found out I was pregnant with Lance, I decided no more kids. No matter how much I loved the guy. The minute after Lance was born I had one of those five-year birth control shots. When Lance was four I got it again."

"Lance is ten now." Katie whispered.

"I got it when he was four because I never thought I'd see Wes again. Let alone make love." Jen said. "I wasn't expecting this to happen at all."

Katie hated seeing her best friend in distress. "Is there anything I can do, Jen?" Katie asked.

"Don't tell Wes." Jen muttered.

"Why not?" Katie asked. "It's his kid, shouldn't he have the right to know?"

"I want to tell him when the time is right. If I really am pregnant." Jen said. Respectively Katie agreed.