Chapter Forty-Two

"Rowle."

That's the first thing Draco hears on Tuesday morning. There's fresh snow on the ground, blanketing the entirety of Hogwarts beautifully, like it's trying to hide it, and the wind has calmed since yesterday. The hallways are serenely quiet, only the odd footsteps of Mr. Filch covering ground and of Professor McGonagall escorting remaining students around per her liking.

He's reading his blue book by the fire place in the Common Room when he's startled out of it by the very firm presence of Ron Weasley.

"Pardon?"

"Thorfinn Rowle. That's the Order's primary suspect."

"For my mother's disappearance?"

"Yeah. He was under constant surveillance," Ron sits down on the arm rest after Draco moves his elbow. "You know, being watched doing the same thing every day and whatnot. He's on house arrest, like your mom, after he was MIA and not even in the country during the war. Apparently, he was serving a past sentence in some prison in France ever since he tailed me and the guys."

"And?"

"And he broke his routine a week before she was taken. The magical triggers that scan his signature every place he goes to every day weren't triggered at all for two days. None of the regular civilians saw him for those two days, either."

"So where was he?"

Ron shrugs. "That's all I heard the Order members telling McGonagall before I was spotted."

"Bollocks," Draco mumbles to himself, slumping into the chair. "You said he was serving a past sentence where?"

"Some penalty prison in France. Azkaban was out of the question, there was an abundance of Death Eaters there. So they moved him overseas."

There's a nagging, uncomfortable prickle under the collar of Draco's shirt. "I just do not understand how they got through the wards in the Manor. I was there when Shacklebolt added a plethora of alarms and wards. On top of Mother's and mine, there is no possible way anyone could have gotten through."

"A Death Eater, nonetheless," Ron agrees, leaning back and staring at the crackling fire. "The amount of Dark Magic in one body is overpowering compared to a core."

"The core," Draco gasps. "That was my idea. A charm that scanned cores instead of magical signatures. It is undetectable, it could not have been brought down. It has to still be up. That is the only way to know who crossed the threshold."

"You put a charm on your house that scans magical cores instead of signatures?"

"Yes. Why?"

"Because no one's invented that. Pretty smart."

Draco flushes. "It was the only way to..."

"Detect the amount of Dark Magic in one being," Ron finishes for him, nodding. "Like I said. Smart. I'll tell McGonagall right away."

"What, why?" Draco frowns. "I can tell her."

"Uh," the redhead chuckles, standing and rubbing the back of his neck. "That's okay. I can do it. That's what friends are for."

"Weasley..."

"I'll catch you later, yeah? Have to go find...Hermione. Wherever she is."

"Weasley," Draco calls out louder, frowning at his retreating back.

"Keep reading," Ron waves his hand behind him as he opens the portrait door. "I know how interesting that book is."

He watches him exit, the portrait door swinging shut by itself after it's left open. He ponders for a moment, looks down at his book, then back up at the exit with pursed lips.