Chapter One

Linda was awakened on a cold winter night by a knocking on the door. She looked at the clock, 1:35. She decided to ignore it, but they continued. Linda sighed and went downstairs. "Who is it?"
"Jeff! I'm a friend of Danny's!" They answered.
Jeff who? "Jeff who?"
"Jeff Smith!"
"I'm sorry, you've got the wrong house!" Even if they were a friend of her husband's, she didn't want them in her house at 1:36 in the morning.
"No, I don't!"
"Yes, I think you do!" Go away already!
"Just open the door."
"I don't think so!"
"Then I'll come in." Jeff's friend had picked the lock and they barged in.
Linda was about to scream, but the big guy put his hand over her mouth. She kicked and squirmed, trying to get free. She bit his hand, being able to yell one "Danny!" before the ugly one hit her with his gun. They carried her to their car, tied her up, and threw her inside.
When Linda had screamed her husband's name, the detective rolled over in his bed- not knowing a thing.
******
Danny yawned and rubbed his eyes. He turned over to give his wife a kiss, but she wasn't there. He figured that she was in the bathroom, or had beaten him downstairs. Danny knocked on the bathroom door. "Ya in there, Linda?" But there was no answer. Danny went downstairs and found a note. "Danny, don't worry. Had to do some errands." He read. He sort of found that weird, but he had to get to work. So he kissed his sons goodbye and headed to the precinct.
*****
"Reagan, you're not gonna like this," Baez said as he threw his gun in his desk drawer.
"What?"
"Last night, 'round 1:37, five guys broke into someone's house, and took a blonde, average height woman, 'round the age of thirty five.... You might wanna sit down for the next part..."
Danny sat down, his heart pounding.
"We just got the call, because the witness didn't want to disturb our sleep." Baez rolled her eyes in amusement. "They said they saw the perps taking the victim from your house, Danny. The victim? It's your wife..."
Danny's heart stopped. Linda.... his hand formed a fist and he hit the table. He spun around in his chair, so Baez couldn't see his eyes well up with tears. "Did the witness see the license plate?" He asked as stoically as he could.
"No. And their description of the car isn't any help, either. Big, black, and box-y. That's, like, 33% of cars in New York."
Danny stood up and walked over to the wall. "1:37, you say?"
Baez nodded. "Yeah. We don't know anything else except there were five perps- a tall one, a fat one, a short one, and we don't know about the other two."
"D@mmit!" Danny punched the wall hard, causing his knuckles to bleed a bit and hurt. He shook the pain from his hand, and walked in a circle, not knowing what to do.
"We'll get these S.O.B.s, and we'll lock 'em up for good!" Baez tried to calm Danny.
On the verge of a nervous, mental, and physical breakdown, Danny barely said, "excuse me.." and headed towards the locker room.