Chapter Eighteen

Linda sighed as she looked at the little orange bottles of pills. She had one for depression, one for post traumatic stress, one for night terrors, and yet another for something even she wasn't sure about. She picked one up and started at it in her hand. Linda didn't know what she was feeling; the only pills she had ever taken were over the counter pain killers and, for a few years, birth control. But when she started her nursing career, she had forgotten to buy a pack, and then she was off the pill.
Danny tied his tie as he came out of the bathroom. He watched his wife just sitting on their bed.
"I hate pills," Linda stated, shaking her head.
"It'll be okay. I take pills."
"Yeah, and they've done wonders." She said sarcastically. Part of her was upset about the pills, the other part was upset because she had to go back to work. She wasn't sure if she was totally ready.
"You shoulda seen me before I got on whatever it is."
"Vyvance." Linda said, still upset about her pills.
"Right. And you've taken birth control before, why are you upset about this? Birth control helped you out, and now this sh!t is gonna help you. By the way, what is this sh!t?"
"Rexulti for depression, Sertraline for post traumatic stress, Klonopin for night terrors, and something else I'm not even sure about. That's way too much!"
"No, it's not. Dad takes more than that."
Linda looked at Danny and started crying.
"What? What'd I do?"
"Y- your- your Dad is o-old! You're c-call- calling me o-o-old!" She buried her head in the pillows as Danny muttered a curse.
"Linda, baby, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that. That was a bad choice of words. All I meant was..." what did I mean? I know I didn't mean to call her old...
"All you meant was what?" She asked, her voice muffled.
"Um, all I meant was that people of all ages take pills. So you shouldn't have to worry. In fact, don't worry about it. You'll feel better if you don't even think about it."
"Are you sure?"
"I promise." Danny Reagan had kept each and every one of his promises- except one. All those years ago, he had promised Linda he wouldn't get hurt on the job and end up scaring her. That was the only promise he couldn't keep. And Linda knew that.
She sighed and sat up, wiping her tears. "I'm sorry."
"It's okay; I know it can be a little daunting at first, but you'll get used to it." He kissed her forehead. "Ready to go to work?"
Linda nodded. "Okay."
"You'll be okay? Cause, you know, they said take all the time you need."
"I need to go back to work. I need a good distraction."
Danny smiled and kissed his wife goodbye. "Love you."
"Love you more."
"Love you most."