Chapter Two

The frustrated detective splashed cold water on his face. Part of him wished that he hadn't caught this case, the other part was glad. He was glad because he knew he'd get it done faster than anybody else- which probably meant sleepless nights, but for his wife? He was willing to do just about anything.
From outside the door, Danny heard Baez call, "you okay in there, partner?"
"Ye-yeah!" His voice cracked. "Gimme a minute!"
"Okay, just wanted to make sure you didn't flip out on me!" Baez left Danny alone to recover his composure.
******
At One Police Plaza, Frank was in a meeting, when Garrett barged in. "Sir, something urgent has come up."
"How urgent?"
"Very urgent."
Frank looked around the table. "Excuse me." He walked out into his office where Garrett was standing. "What's wrong this time?"
"You know I wouldn't interrupt you unless it was absolutely necessary-"
"What's wrong, Garrett?"
"Your daughter-in-law—"
"Linda?" Frank was very interested in this.
"That's the one. She was kidnapped last night by five perps..."
Frank walked to the window and looked out. This wasn't the first time she had been kidnapped.
"There's more-"
"More?" He turned around to face Garrett.
"The detective that caught the case? It's your son. His partner, Baez, just called. She's worried about him and his family."
Frank looked at the window again, not wanting Garrett to see him struggling to retain his stoic composure. "Have them do everything they can. I want those perps locked up, and locked up for good."
"Yes, sir."
*******
Linda had no idea where she was, but she kept screaming through her gag. She screamed and screamed until a perp entered the room she was tied up in. He struck the scared blonde in the face with his gun, causing her to bleed.
"One more sound, and I will not hesitate to use this!"
From fear and pain, she started crying as the perp proceeded to take her clothes off. He hit her in the stomach with his gun. "I said not a sound!"
******
"Ughh!" Danny groaned as he rubbed his temples. This search was getting them no where. "Why didn't the witness call last night, huh? When they actually saw it! Maybe Linda wouldn't be with those b!tches if we had gotten the d@mn call last night!" Danny's phone buzzed, interrupting his rant. "Reagan."
"How're you holding up, son?" Frank asked on the other end.
The detective sighed. "I'm okay."
"You're sure?"
"Yeah, I'm sure..." he lied.
"You've never been a good liar."
"You want the truth? The truth is I'm dying over here! Why did it have to be Linda? Why?"
"I don't know..." there was a moment of silence before Frank said, "What about the boys?"
The boys. Jack and Sean. Danny hadn't thought of that, and it was almost three o'clock. He sighed, "I dunno."
"Do you want Baker to pick 'em up and have them here with me?"
"She can do that?"
"I'm her boss; she'll do anything I say."
"Thanks, Dad. You're a life saver." He hung up and tossed his phone on his desk.
"What did the PC want?" Baez wondered.
"He just wondered 'bout Jack and Sean."
"Your kids?"
"Yeah. Baker's pickin' 'em up and bringing 'em to 1PP."
Baez nodded. "We'll get these perps, Danny. I know we will."