Chapter Eleven

Linda had been out of the hospital for three days now, and she wasn't talking to anybody. She'd answer direct questions, but with as little words as possible. She sighed and dreaded the next few weeks. The trial was going to start, and she did not want to testify.
"You'll do great, babe. Don't worry," Danny told her as they got ready.
"Mm mm."
"Yes, you will. All you gotta do is answer their questions.... you ready?"
"Yeah..."
*******
Erin stood up and sighed. She walked over to Danny and started questioning him. "Detective Reagan, how long was the victim in custody of the perpetrator?"
Danny thought for a second. "Four, maybe five days."
"Maybe?"
Danny scowled at Erin. "I don't exactly know, DA, because I haven't slept since it happened."
"Why haven't you slept?"
"I poured all my time into this case, as I do my other cases."
"But could this one be different? Because your wife was involved?"
Danny nodded, choosing his words carefully. "I may have been more concerned with this particular case, yes."
"Now, Where was the perps' hideout?"
"It was a big cabin, deep in the woods."
"And what did you see there?"
"Two of the perps were playing cards or discussing their next move—"
"You seem uncertain."
Danny gave Erin an evil eye. "I was concerned about the victim, Erin."
Erin raised an eyebrow.
"I'm sorry, Counselor."
"And when you found the victim, in what condition was she?"
Danny sighed and started fiddling with a lose thread on his pant leg.
"He's not answering!" The defense attorney spoke up.
"Give him time, please. This is his wife we're talking about. Detective Reagan, take your time."
Danny sighed and started talking. "I was the one, along with Det. Baez, who went looking for the victim. I found her in a room..." he paused for a minute, holding back tears.
"That's okay, take your time."
He continued. "And she was bound and gagged..... she had cuffs 'round her ankles and hands. And a rope around her thighs... And another rope around her..." Danny didn't know the right word. "A rope under her breasts..... she was... she didn't have any clothes on.... and she was bruised and scratched and she was bleeding...." he bit his lip, fighting back tears.
Erin saw this, and felt her heart break. She hated to see her family like this. And she hated that she got this case. "Where was she bleeding?"
"Her face, wrists, ankles, torso, thighs....."
"What did you proceed to do?"
"I helped her. I took the cuffs and ropes off and took the gag off. She was weak."
"How do you know that?"
"She couldn't stand on her own.... she fell into my arms after I set her free..." the whole time, Danny didn't look at Erin.
"If all that's true, then why won't you look her in the eye?" Defense attorney challenged.
"What is it with you people?" Danny was getting angry. "Have you been watching too many cop shows? If your significant other was bound and gagged and helpless like mine was, you'd be fighting tears, too! If you were me, you would've done the same thing! And you know it! You woulda pumped that        b!tch's heart full of led, too!" Danny hit the stand.