Chapter Fifteen

"I'm glad you put those bas— perps away, Uncle Danny," Nicky smiled as her uncle stared at her Aunt in the nice Italian restaurant.
"Dad?" Sean said after his Dad hadn't answered.
"Hm? What?" He looked at his son.
"Nicky was talking to you."
"I'm sorry, Nicky. What did you say?"
"I said I was glad you put the perps away," she repeated.
"Me, too...."
Linda had been picking at her dinner all night, causing curiosity.
"Whassamatter, Linda? You love fettuccine Alfredo." Jamie pointed to her plate with his fork.
"I'm not hungry..." she barely responded.
"Why not?" Jack asked innocently.
She shrugged as she held back tears.
"Uh... Sean, how was your day?" Frank tried to steer the conversation.
"Good, I guess. I gotta write a dumb book report on the most boring book ever!"
"Robinson Crusoe?" Nicky smiled as she guessed.
"Yeah. How'd you know that?"
"Cause I had to read it, too. I fell asleep."
See that pole, toots? That was made especially for you.... Linda's mind replayed the scene. You're gonna cooperate or we're gonna gun you. She remembered screaming the first time Bear pressed against her. He was so aggressive. More so than Danny. And that's scary...
"I mean, come on! Really?" Nicky complained about something which earned a few chuckles.
Linda whimpered a little, prompting Danny to ask if she was okay.
She choked down a sob and got up. "'Scuse me..." she briskly walked out front and into the alley way. She let herself cry, unaware that she had been followed.
She heard a soft, concerned, "babe?"
She turned to her husband and cried in his arms. "I'm sorry!" She kept apologizing.
"It's not your fault, Linda. Whatever it is, it isn't your fault."
"I wanna go home...." Linda said defeatedly. "I wanna go home...."
Danny nodded. "Okay. You take the keys, and start the car. Lock the doors and don't open the windows."
Linda didn't feel like giving him a snarky, but loving, answer. She just nodded and headed to the car.
Danny waited till she was safe in the car, then went back in. "Listen, guys. Linda's... well, she wants to go home. Is that okay?"
"Of course!" Erin nodded. "Right now, we do what's best for her."
Danny nodded, "Dad-"
"I'm sure Sean and Jack won't mind another sleep over at the house, right, boys?" Frank smiled.
Jack and Sean nodded. "We don't mind, Dad. Take care of Mom!"
"Always!" Danny called as he grabbed their coats. "Always..." he whispered, biting his lip. He wouldn't let himself cry- he had to be brave. Brave for Linda. Brave for his boys. Brave for the Reagans. Angrily he wiped away the stray tear and got in the car.