8 - A Promise is a Promise

"But don't you dare ever say you are sorry for me. I just need a friend not someone to feel bad for me," I took my head from off his shoulder and looked him in the eye.

"Got it?" I questioned. He nodded then stuck out his pinky. I turned my head and furrowed my eyebrows.

"What's that for?" I asked pointing to his elegantly extended finger.

"I'm making a promise to a friend. I have to make sure it's official right?" He smiled. I smiled back, and slightly laughed.

"Right..." I replied sarcastically then I stuck out my pinky, and he intertwined his with mine. He continued.

"I Ashton, promise Alex that I will never tell her that I am sorry for her. I will be there for her as a friend, and moral support. Being the badass she is she doesn't need anybody's pity because she is super strong, and I really admire that. So Alex do you accept?" He raised one eyebrow.

I shook my head and smiled then replied. "Yes, I accept your promise Newboy."

We both pulled our hands down locking the promise.

"Don't break it," I raised one eyebrow at him.

"I won't a promise is a promise." He reassured me.

"Thank you for coming over. I'm sorry I freaked out on you. I've just really never had anybody to talk to about all of this, and I just was so overwhelmed."

"It's ok, and I really shouldn't have said those things about Evan either. It's not my place to talk." He replied.

"It's the truth and I hate to admit it, but this really isn't a good place to be living. I just didn't have anywhere else to go so I didn't know any better." I took a deep breath then continued talking.

"When I turn 18 I'll officially be on my own, and I can do whatever I want to. I'll move out, and hopefully move somewhere far away. I can't take this town, all the bad memories it holds" I looked back over at him.

"You can always stay at our house. You know that right? You don't have to keep living here."

"Thank you, it really means a lot. Just not right now ok? Evan is in a bad place, and I don't think it's a good time to leave him alone right now. Evan promised me that he would never hurt me, and I trust him. But, if I ever feel unsafe I won't stay here anymore. Trust me I know how to take care of myself. It's been four years living with him and living without my parents."

I looked back over to Ashton he was nodding his head up and down, and he could barely hold open his eyes. Then I looked at the clock it was almost four in the morning.

"Ashton its really late go back and get some sleep I'll be fine," I tapped his shoulder. He jumped then rubbed his eyes.

"I'm fine," He said while almost falling asleep again.

"Ash, seriously you are about to fall asleep. Just go home and get some rest. I'll be fine," I sternly told him. He eventually agreed.

He stood up from the floor then held out his hand to help me up. I grabbed it, and he pulled me up.

"Call me if you need me," I nodded then gave him a hug. He hugged me back, and kissed me on the cheek.

"Bye Ashton," I waved to him before closing the the door and locking it. I walked back over and sat down on the couch. Before I knew it I was closing my eyes and falling asleep.

~

"Shit" I heard the sound of someone whisper yelling, and the sound of pill bottles rattling as they hit the floor. I rolled over and opened my eyes to see someone in the kitchen. I sat up, and rubbed my eyes.

"Evan?" His face was bruised, and his lip was busted.

"Oh my god what happened to you are you ok?" I jumped off of the couch to look at him. I held my hand up to his face to look at his wound. He winced at my touch and turned his head away.

"Alex, go back to sleep i'm fine," He told me.

"Evan look in the mirror. You look terrible. I'm not going back to sleep not until you tell me what happened."

"Alex, you don't need to be involved in any of this. It's not a big deal."

"Evan you cant fucking tell me that this isn't a big deal. I know exactly what you are doing, and look where it got you. Really? Why would do this to yourself? You know how dangerous this is. You know where this can lead you. You promised me you would never go down that path. Evan your dad is a dealer, and you hate him. My parents fucking kicked me out for god's sake. For what? drugs, and where did that get them? No where except a life of pain and torture. I'm not even mad at you. I'm just so hurt and disappointed," I couldn't even look him in the eye. Im just so hurt. He kept his head down. He went to open his mouth to say something, but stayed silent. I leaned against the kitchen counter, and turned my head towards the door. I didn't want to look at him right now.

"Matt came by. He was looking for you, and he told me you were in trouble. I'll go call him and tell him you are home," I took myself from off the counter, and walked into my room to get my phone. I grabbed it from off my nightstand and dialed Matt's number. The call rang once before Matt picked up.

"Hey Alex did you find him"

"Yeah he just came home a little bit ago, but he's not doing well. He looks like he got into a fight, and he won't tell me anything."

"Ok, um is it ok if I come over and talk to him?"

"Yeah...but I don't want anything of this to continue. He needs to get out of this situation. He can't keep selling. Whatever he's involved in so am I. He's my family, and I'm not going to let him get hurt"

"I'll be there in a little bit" Matt told me then he ended the call. I ran my fingers through my hair in frustration, and took in a deep breath before walking back into the living room. Ashton was sitting on the couch with a bottle in his hand. He didn't look up when I walked in.

"Evan please just talk to me," He didn't say a word, and then a second later he threw the empty bottle against the wall. Resulting in a loud clatter, and the bottle shattering into a million pieces. I stood there shocked at what just happened.

"Evan oh my god," I whisper yelled while holding my hand over my mouth. I looked back over at him, and saw the pain in his face. He turned his head and wiped away a tear before it could fall down his face. I ran right over to him on the couch. Then wrapped my arms around him, and hugged him. He hugged me back, and broke down into tears. I rubbed circles on his back while trying to calm him down.

"Hey it's ok. You can me anything you know that right? We are family now, and nothing can change that," I pulled back from the hug to look him in the eye. He wiped away one more tear before speaking.

"Alex..." He kept his head down. I held my hand out and put it on top of his to comfort him.

"Alex, I saw my dad"