10 - Midnight Thoughts

I rubbed circles on my arm trying to circulate heat throughout my body. My arms are almost completely numb. This paper thin sweatshirt wasn't doing any good against this cold. I've just been walking the streets in the dark after I ran away from Evan. I didn't know where I was going. I didn't really think about that part. I just had to get out of that house. I just needed to escape for a while. I kept walking then I stopped when I found a small park. There was a red slide hanging from the tree house, and a pair of swings attached to the side. I stepped down the edge of the hill and walked over to the playground. The sound of leaves crunched underneath the soles of my shoes. I went up to the green rusted swing and sat down. I kept thinking about what Evan said to me in the house as I swung softly back and forth to the sound of the creaky swing.

"My house my rules"

It kept replaying in my mind over and over like some stupid chant. I couldn't get it out of my mind. It really bothered me because he would have never said that a month ago. He would always say something stupid like.

"This is a parent-free house, we have no rules so... party all you want motherfuckerrrrr"

I laughed recalling that memory of us dancing on the couch to all the best 80s rock or 90s music. We would sing are hearts out, and laugh are asses off. Then we would wake up the next morning on the floor. Now he's changed. I don't know what has gotten into him, and I don't like it. At All. He's a totally different person. I miss his carefree attitude. I want the old Evan back.

I tousled with the chain of the swing as my head was resting against the opposite side. I was picking off pieces of the rust and letting it fall onto the ground. My eyes squinted when bright headlights shown from up the hill where the road was. A car stopped, and two figured got out and began walking towards me.

Do I run?

I thought about my decision, but I honestly had no energy so I stood my ground as the figures approached me. I still couldn't make out their faces.

"I literally have nothing on me so if your looking for money you can just run along," I called out to the them. They kept walking closer to me. I watched as their faces came into the view when they entered the glow of the dim the street light.

"Um...not looking for money, but I am wondering what you are doing alone at 3 AM in a park Alex?" Ashton questioned me with a raised brow, and a look of concern. Standing close beside him was Calum.

"Wow," I let out the breath of air I was holding in.

"I really thought that I was about to get human trafficked. Heyyy...um...why are you guys here? How
Did you know I was here?" I questioned. I really don't know how they found me?

"We didn't. We were on the way home from a party, but we stopped because we saw you here sitting on the swing in a park by yourself. So...Why exactly are you here?" Calum interrogated me while he stuffed his hands into the pockets of his leather jacket.

"That is a really good question," I responded back.

"Um..hmmm well you see I was just thinking. Yep I was just thinking?" I answered back in question form while awkwardly scratching the side of my head. They will not believe that at all.

You Dumbass.

"In a park? By yourself, and at 3 AM?" Ashton looked at me with a very confused and concerned face. I must have looked insane. Like a literal crackhead sitting here swinging back and forth.

"Yep," I replied back while popping the "p" and keeping my gaze locked on the dirt. I awkwardly chewed the inside of my lip because I didn't know what else to say.

"Do you need a ride back home?" Calum interrupted the silence to ask.

"No it's okay...I," I paused trying to come up with an excuse, but I didn't have one. My mind went blank, and I didn't know what else to say. I just looked back up at them while biting down on my lip.

"Hey it's fine. You don't need to say anything just come get in the car Alex. Its cold and you don't need to be out here all alone so we'll take you back to our place," Calum reassured while walking over to me on the swing. He took off his jacket and placed it around my shoulders. The warmth of the leather jacket brought back some feeling to my arms. I looked up and thanked him. I stood up from the swing it creaked, and the chain rustled from my sudden absence. I continued walking and followed them to the car that was resting back up on the hill. I got inside and pulled the car door shut behind me. Calum put the keys into the ignition and started the car. I felt so bad. I feel like I'm dragging both of them into my mess of my life.

"I'm sorry," I softly spoke. Calum glanced up to look at me from the mirror.

"What for?" He questioned. They both just seemed so unfazed like they could care less. Not in a bad way like a good way like they didn't mind helping me out. It's so weird I've never had anyone be there for me like this. I really just don't know how to respond or how to act.

"I don't know...I just feel bad. Like, this will be like the third time I've stayed over at you're guy's place because I just can't deal with my problems. I just want to get away from them," I said to them while I kept my head pressed against the cold glass window, and I stared at the street lights pass by.

"Alex, we don't care if you stay with us. We actually enjoy the company. Sometimes we can get on each other's nerves," Ashton said then jokingly bumped Calum on the arm. I pushed my lips into a small smile. Calum turned his attention back to the road infront of him, and I placed my head back against the window.