24

----- Rong Shen's POV -----

The golden Lin looked at me with a worried smile. I knew that her magic was having second thoughts of having me alive. "I won't do anything. I'll stay here until Lin wakes up." The golden Lin gave me a smile and floated in the air as she laid down.

"What do you want to know?" I pondered the question. There were a lot of things I wanted to ask Lin. But the most important was about the traps. "The traps." She gave me a quirky smile before answering. "They're defence and attack incantations. When an intruder passed into the compound and has evil intentions it will set off the attack incantations. When someone who escapes the attack incantations and re-enters through the front gate we will know because they've already been tagged by the defence incantations with our magic." Wouldn't that tire out Lin? Golden Lin seemed to understand my confusion.

"There is a major incantation that gives magic to the defence and attack incantations so Lin doesn't get tired. It has its own mind too so when Lin leaves the major incantations to take over." I hummed in understanding. Magic took a lot of thought into it. "Lin, what have you been doing in my library deciphering." She leaned back into the air with her hands behind her head. "Learning magic. You have some really musty scrolls on magic. I was able to decipher a piece of them and was able to learn more about my history as well as my heritage. But I'm too weak compared to other mages."

I looked curiously at the girl in front of me. My thoughts flashed back to the ghoul I saw. It said it would come back for what was his. I looked at Lin. He couldn't mean her right? Unless that ghoul wasn't a ghoul but another mage. But how would that be true? Lin was the first mage that I found. I know of one in the mountains that I had helped in the past, but besides that, they shouldn't exist.

What am I saying? Lin was perfect at keeping her magic hidden from me. Anyone person I know could be a mage. It's not that difficult to hide. I turned to Golden Lin. "How do you know if someone is a mage?" She shrugged her shoulders for a moment before snapping her fingers. She pointed to her eyes. "The eyes. Magic runs like electricity through the body. If you were to look at a person in the dark a mage eyes would glow unnaturally. But other than that I am not sure. I haven't been a mage for a long time compared to others. If you were to ask an elder than maybe you would find more information." I guess it was time for me to call in my favour to that mage.

"Once Lin wakes up we're going together to see another mage." Golden Lin's jaw dropped. She pulled herself together quickly. "You know a mage?" I nodded to her excitement. She bounced about the room like a ball. I heard her squeal. "Who is it?" She grabbed a hold of my wheelchair as she looked at me straight in the eyes. She realized what she did and separated herself from me. "A male mage by the name of Li Jie. He'll help you will getting a better grasp of basic magic since that is all he knows." Golden Lin bounced about happily as she moved into the barrier and checked the flowers. A small frown graced her lips. I noticed how immediately after she plucked the flower it withered in her hand.

"Lin, what's the matter?" She ignored me temporarily as she made some seals with her hands and a blanket of gold cocooned around Lin. The blanket sunk into Lin which caused the real Lin to groan and sputter out red blood and a mix of black blood. My expression hardened as I saw Golden Lin repeat this process. She took the blood that was coughed out by Lin and moved it into each flower making more vegetation to grow. The flowers that had just grown would send out pollen that Golden Lin would grab and force it into Lin. I noticed how a bit of colour returned to the real Lin and her expression to be more relaxed.

"Lin? What was that?" She returned to my side with a wry smile. "It's the antidote I gave her. But I can only do it like this because I don't have the full amount. If I did things would go a lot quicker and I didn't run the risk of Lin dying." I sucked in a cold breath. She could die but still took the risk of taking the poison. "Lin, I can get an antidote, just wait for me. "She sniggered but let me go.

"Get me, my doctor, to make an antidote for the swallow's nest poison." The guard ran off and I returned to the room where a semi-transparent Golden Lin was. "It's because I am magic. I will regain it in a bit to once again continue the process until you get the antidote here." I gave her a smile as she leaned against the barrier. I wanted to touch it, but that couldn't happen. It would only be solid. "Do you like magic?" I turned my head to Golden Lin looking at me curiously.

It would be childlike to say that I did, but I could not lie. I really did like magic. I was sensitive to magic, but I was not a mage. It was both a blessing and a curse. "I do. I adore it." Golden Lin smiled at me brightly. She didn't talk, she just gave me a bright smile.

I returned it with one of my own. We sat in our silence. Once and a while Golden Lin would use magic to help the real Lin along with her recovery. I watched every time and I still couldn't get over how beautiful it was to see. Eventually, my doctor arrived, I met him outside and then entered without an explanation. When Golden Lin saw it she used her magic and the globule of antidote floated to her. She looked at it and smiled before converting it into a cloud and floated it over Lin. I saw how Lin inhaled the antidote and exhale. Her face was relaxed as this went on. The cloud of mist eventually disappeared into Lin.

I noticed how Golden Lin was much more transparent this time around. She had to use a lot of magic to sustain the mist and must have imbued some of her magic to increase the potency. "When do you think she'll wake up?" She had a pondering expression "Most likely by this evening. She'll know about our interactions so there is no point in trying to lie to her." I nodded as I stared at the girl in front of me. She was like how everyone told me she was. A giddy, expressive individual. But she was also cunning and resourceful when she needed to be. I shouldn't have been so stubborn, but I see now the importance of her secrets and what she's willing to do for me.

I should do the same for her.