29

------ Lin's POV----
I was slightly fazed by Feng Mian's comment as the weapons returned to their original pebbles. I kicked up the ground as I moved deeper into the forest. Since I couldn't find an immediate source of water to practice it would be easier to work with plants. The basic idea was the same as wrapped my magic around the trees.

I practiced by swaying the branches as practice. It was an easy feat to accomplish as I moved then about aimlessly being careful not to break them. That got me thinking. Was there a way in order to force a plant to grow? I ordered for one of the seeds to fall into my palm.

I looked at it as it rolled in my hand. I imbued it with magic to see what would happen. Nothing changed in its structure, but over a period of time the seed started to wither away. I noticed how my magic got stronger. I scratched my head at this conundrum. If by imbuing my magic into the seed I gained stronger magic,

That meant that my every living thing had traces of magic in it. If it I could feed it the right amount would it grow? I didn't want to waste my magic so I returned to the hut. Inside Feng Mian was gone. Maybe she just returned to her everyday life and would check in on me from time to time. I shrugged as I looked through the various learning materials.

----- Feng Mian's POV -----

I sat in my courtyard sipping on my tea as I looked out into the garden. Lin was on my mind as I saw her be able to already grasp earth magic. If it came to her this easily the only difficulty she would run into was air magic. It was always tricky for any mage. As I was about to delve into my mind about Lin one of my maids appeared. "Mistress, a man by the name of Rong Shen has come to speak to you. He says he is the Master of Lin." I remembered Old Li's words. He must have told Lin's Master about our little bet. 

"Tell them to come in. Make sure it's in the special room." She nodded and left quietly. What could he possibly want now? If it was to interrupt Lin's training I would not allow it. I finally had someone to pass my legacy on to. If Lin is removed from the cavern then she may not be able to inherit my magic. I stood up and flicked my sleeves as I moved to my special room. It was a room that no one could hear, so my walls had no ears. 

I found Rong Shen sitting in his wheelchair with a look a confusion. "It's for no one to know of this room little royal uncle. Rong Shen snorted at my comment, but excused my behavior. Although I had a lower standing because he knew I was a mage, Rong Shen was a force to be reckoned with. "So, why have you come?" He seemed on edge from the question. His eyes flashed with a brilliance that I was not aware of. 

Something had stirred in his domain and it would make waves to us smaller officials. Tides were changing, that was what those eyes said. And not for the better. "I need you to locate a mage for me." This baffled me. I would have automatically known if a mage arrived in this city. I was aware of Lin arriving here. But there was another mage besides Lin and Old Li. "I can't." 

My answer didn't seem to follow along the lines he wanted. He probably thought that I would say yes and for a price, and whatever was in that box would be used to convince me otherwise. I was pale as I spoke those two words. If I didn't sense it, then either they were here before me or they are stronger than me.Only Lin is stronger than me. But there was another that I never knew about. 

That made a shiver run down my spine. They knew I had Lin. As to why, they would guess the inheritance. Rong Shen's voice quivered with anger "What do you mean you CAN'T?" I took a shaky breath. "If I knew I have no reason to hide it. But most likely that mage is stronger than me, maybe stronger than Lin." Rong Shen let out an arbitrary huff as he turned to leave. If I could not help him, he was royally screwed. There was no one that could possibly help Rong Shen. 

---- Lin's POV -----

I hummed as I played with the trees. Then I felt a shift in the amount of magic around me. I looked about to see the man I had seen in Master's library. This time he was dressed in silver robes and had his hair done up neatly with a crane pin holding his hair all together. I skipped over to him and smiled brightly. "Mister." He chuckled as he patted my head. But it was the same as last time. 

I only felt cold air on my head. I frowned slightly. I thought that he would be real this time. "You can call me Yun Tian. Or Yun." I smiled at Yun. He was really nice. His gold eyes glowed brightly in front of me. "Yun, look at this." I made the plants move about and created my weapons. He smiled at me and showed me something beautiful. From above us a bright gold magic like my own started to spin together and make golden snow. 

I smiled as I let the snowflakes fall on me. In front of me it made a gold gem. I did not touch it but looked at the magnificent thing as it flew around me. Yun looked at me with kind eyes as the magic disappeared. "Yun is very skilled." We played the entire afternoon, but decided to rest under a willow tree. I laid down on top of Yun in between his legs as I felt the cold air wrap around me.

I was mildly disappointed as I could not really be with this man. Why was I thinking these thoughts. We were just on first name basis and I wanted to spend so much time with him. Maybe it was because he was a mage. But Li Jie was a male mage as well. Ew, gross. I looked up at Yun, I felt an inexplicably need to meet him and hug him. But I deflated as I did not know where he was, or why he was here with me at the moment. 

"Yun." I heard him rumble out a hum "Why are you here?" He stroked my hair  and held a piece in his hand. He gave me a sad smile as I looked at him. His gold eyes flashed with something that was akin to hope, but I was not sure. He sighed but gave me a profound smile. I could not take my eyes off of him as I got closer to him. I wished I wash away that look, he seemed so distressed. I clasped my hands on his cheeks, oh how I wished I could feel his warmth instead of this cold, he seemed slightly surprised but leaned into me as we sat in silence.

I heard rustling from behind me. I turned around to see Feng Mian there with a pale look on her face. I looked back to see that Yun was gone. I heard his voice one last time in the wind. "Forgive me, regina mea." I felt a cold breeze pass over me, and then the warmth returned around me. I looked up at the cavern sky with a sense of longing reach deep into my soul. This behavior of mine was not normal. But I was never opposed to change.