Chapter 12

There was something heavy in the atmosphere that made Hyunjin felt tensed. He knew he had touched a sensitive topic but he didn't expect such an answer. He looked at Hyejin straight back in the eye and she smiled.

"I am Jung Hae-in," she confirmed.

This meant that she had been faking her identity the whole time. When she said that Lee Know had helped her when she was in trouble, it must had involved changing her name as well.

"It is kind of complicating but I have been faking my identity because the past haunts me. It is also one of the reason why I have insomnia."

Hyunjin felt selfish for thinking that he was the only one who had a bad luck in his life. He had never thought that someone like Hyejin would have gone through something horrible enough to have her change her identity to forget her past.

"I am a suspect for murder."

Hyunjin's eyes widened.

"You are what?"

Hyejin did expect such a reaction and giggled. Hyunjin didn't know what was so funny and looked at her, feeling confused.

"My life is more complicate than yours."

"But you are not the suspect."

"How do you know?"

"You are not someone who would do such a thing."

"Right but not when you are pushed to desperate measures."

"What?"

"It is true that I am not the one who killed but I could've helped him. I didn't."

"You must've a reason to do so."

"You are siding me. I'm happy to have another person who sticks with me," she let out a sigh and decides to let it out. She felt like it was something he should know and it was not necessary to keep it a secret when it's already out.

"I had a boyfriend when I was just in high school. You can say love at those age is ridiculous and it really was. He was a drug addict, alcoholic and it was an abusive relationship but what can I do? It was the first time I had fallen in love, first time I had dated and first time I shared kisses. Everything was a first for me so I fell for him harder and harder until I was too blind in love."

Hyunjin didn't say and just listened to her which she appreciated.

"I had tried many times to break up with him but I couldn't bring myself to. Every time he hits me, I wanted to retaliate but I couldn't bring myself to. One day, I was visiting his house when a boy ran into me. He was young, breathless and his eyes were filled with guilt. I thought it was nothing and just went to the room."

Hyejin gulped down and closed her eyes. She breathed in and out before continuing.

"There, I found him lifeless on the ground. I was too scared to move and I wanted to help but when he grabbed my ankle and begged for help, all those times he brought me pain came back to me. So, I left him there even though I could've helped him. Then, he would be still alive but I won't be where I am right now."

He didn't need her to remember all those horrible incidents from the past. He had managed to put the pieces together. Hyejin had a past to hide and Lee Know helped her so that she could live the life she was having at the moment.

Still, nightmares will always return to reminder her.

However, there was something missing for the big picture to be formed. He wrecked his brain to think of the missing part. His eyes widened when he finally figured it out. He looked at Hyejin who was smiling at him.

"I was that young boy, wasn't I?"

Hyejin shrugged her shoulders.

"Maybe you are. Maybe you are not."

"I'm sorry."

"For what? You helped me escape from him. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't."

"Still, I got you into this mess and again, I've dragged you into it."

"I don't get what you are saying. I've already told you that it's not your fault. I just happened to be a part of it. Whatever happens to me is not your fault."

"Even if it scars your career?"

"It's bound to be one day."

"I don't get it. You worked so hard for it. I'm someone who dragged you into it. You could've just-"

Hyejin pulled his collar and pressed her lips against his. The boy's breath was taken away and he gasped when she pulled back. His lips tasted like hers and he craved for more.

"What was that?" he asked. His cheeks turning rosy just like hers.

"I don't know. What do you think it was?"

Hyunjin licked his lips and looked at her.

"Can I do it again?"

Before Hyejin could even say anything, Hyunjin kissed her again and again and again until Hyejin placed her hand in between their lips and looked at him in disbelief. She laughed and shook her head.

"Did you like it that much?"

He nodded his head which made Hyejin laugh even louder. She ruffled his hair and kissed his forehead.

"Rest. That's what you need."

Hyunjin planned to rest but his stomach grumbled and his face flushed in embarrassment.

"Food comes first."

Hyejin was about to go to the kitchen to prepare food when Hyunjin stood up. She wondered what was wrong and Hyunjin brought his finger up to his lip to tell her to keep quiet. Hyejin nodded and listened to the small sounds that were heading towards their apartment.

They took small steps to the entrance and stood before the door. The footsteps came to a stop as well.

All of a sudden, there was a loud bang which made Hyejin flinch. It continued for a few times. Their eyes grew bigger and they took a step back when the door crashed open and Chris walked in.