|Chapter 14|

"Among my stillness was a pounding heart."

― Shannon A. Thompson

I felt like time was still. God how could I be so stupid?

I pressed my ear to the door, trying desperately to listen past the sound of my heart hammering in my ears. I heard some scuffling followed by the sound of someone sitting on the couch. I moved my ear to the wall where the couch was pushed up against.

"What's going on?" Courtney asked, and I didn't need to see her to know that she was smiling.

"The usual." Alex replied bluntly.

"Why are you being so short?" She snorted. "You've been nothing but pissy since I've walked in."

"I'm tired, Court." He sighed, walking closer. "You dropped by unexpectedly and it's getting late."

"Pft like you go to sleep early!" She laughed. "You don't look busy-"

"Because. I'm. Tired." He repeated.

It was her turn to let out a long sigh. "Fine, I'll go." I heard her leave the couch and her shoes clatter against the hard floor. "I also need to ask if you can take Natalie on Saturday, I've been needing a date night."

"That's fine, I'll clear my schedule."

"You're the best." She gave him a kiss and walked farther away from the couch. I moved quietly back to the bedroom door to follow them. "I'll get out of your hair then. Make sure you give mom a call at some point, she's trying to plan a family dinner."

"Great." He snorted, probably wearing a small smirk on his face.

"I know, can't wait right?" She laughed. "Can I actually just get a bottled water before I go? I'm dying over here!" He must've said yes because I heard footsteps leading to the kitchen. "Thanks! Are you going to see me out?" More footsteps led to the front door and I heard the locks click as it creaked open.

Thank God.

I squeaked when the door slammed shut so loudly I wouldn't be surprised if it woke the entire building. "Courtney what the hell!" Alex shouted, seeming farther away. There was banging on the door and I scrambled to his closet, shutting myself inside.

I heard fast steps being taken to the hallway bathroom, the lights flickering on and off. Then I heard the sound of the bedroom door jiggle. I took in a shallow breath and tried my hardest to control the rest of my breathing. The door opened slowly, and I heard the footsteps pour into the room. First, the bathroom inside was opened and the lights were turned on. I heard shuffling and then the steps return to the room.

I closed my eyes, praying that this was just a terrible dream. But sadly, it wasn't. The closet doors were opened and we both let out a scream.

"What the fuck!" Courtney yelled, backing away. It was very evident that they were related, they looked so similar. She had long dark hair that was thin in some places but wilder and curlier than others. Her jawline was sharp and she had strong shoulders, her long arms crossing over her waist. "Who are you?"

I opened my mouth but my phone buzzed. I looked behind her onto the bed and saw that it was Alex's caller ID. She followed my gaze and picked it up answering it.

"Hello? I'm just talking to your friend here- woah calm down! I'll let you back in, just hold on. ...Well that's not a very nice thing to say to your sister!" She shook her head and ended the call, handing me my phone. "Sorry for scaring you by the way. I'm Courtney." She held out her hand.