9: Trapdoor | Avery

Current Time: Wednesday, 14:30 EST
Current Location: Cabin in the woods

"You kept a drone inside your bag? Amazing!" Colbie grabbed the drone and brought it close to her face. Her eyes sparkled as she examined the gadget, squinting to see the small, round features under its wings. "I love technology!" She pulled out a camera from her bag and took a picture of the drone.

So here's a cam girl and a techno boy, pretty convenient.

"But how can we use it to reach her parents?" I asked Dino who had pulled another thing inside his bag. It was a pink Prada specs. He wore it and grabbed the drone's remote control. He pressed the tiny, red button and the drone came to life. Its wings swirled, producing wind and vibration. He operated the keys and the drone began to fly in the air. It flew outside the living room and the sounds slowly faded away. It is nowhere in sight but Dino still took control of it.

Colbie walked over to him. "Hey, does the pink specs help you to see the drone's location?"

"Kinda. It helped me see beyond the walls."

"OMG! You're a techno boy!" Colbie squealed, taking a shot of him. "A curly genius." The drone returned to the living room and landed on the table. Dino took off the pink specs and Colbie snatched it from him.

"Hey, you still didn't answer my question," I said. "How can we use that drone to reach Colbie's parents?"

"With the help of my watch," Dino answered, raising his arm for emphasis.

Whoa. What a classy boy scout.

Dino carried the drone and turned it upside down. He revealed the camera that was hidden under its wings. "This drone has a camera that is connected to my watch. This watch has a map that we can use to search for Colbie's house and we'll guide the drone in there to communicate with her parents."

"Hey, can I just call them using that watch?" Colbie asked, impatient.

"No. This watch can't connect to a phone, meaning, it doesn't have a calling piece. It operates just like a computer but has limited features."

Colbie and I looked at each other. This science nerd.

"What's more, the drone has a recording device and my watch has speakers." Dino swiped the screen of his rectangular watch and it flashed white in a split second. A forest wallpaper appeared. The watch turned out to be a mini computer. Dino played the video in the desktop and a hologram flashed. We watched in awe as the holographic image of the drone sitting on a table flew outside the living room hitting the chimes, falling under the table and chairs then flew back up and returned to the living room.

"Oh, my G!" Colbie ran across the living room, clapping her hands. She came to a halt in a counter and jumped erratically. "Magnificent! When I get home I'll buy many gadgets! I'll be a techno girl!"

I shook my head sideways. Here goes an immature high schooler. I was about to tease her when Dino tapped my arms. "The wooden floor, it's beginning to crack," he said, his tone vexed. I looked down to where Colbie was jumping and realized it was breaking.

"Colbie! Watch out!" I warned.

"Oh my, aw!" Colbie fell down the cracked floor. Dino and I rushed to where she was and poked our heads down.

"Colbie? You alright?"

"Yeah, glad I didn't break my bones from the fall," Colbie answered, coughing. "But it stinks in here. Please get me out!" She cried.

"Okay, hold on a second," I said as I scanned the room for things we could use to haul her up.

Dino shook his head sideways. "Reckless wench."

Colbie sneezed. "I mean, I can survive the rustic smell but, waa!"

A sound of metal rubbing with metal echoed down. I felt alarmed. "Hey, what's going on in there?"

"Whoa. Can't believe I'm seeing guns. There's a lot in here."

xx

A trapdoor with guns. The people who used to live here were not just ordinary persons. They're assassins just like Jacob Collins.

"You failed the exam," dad told me one night. We were sitting in the living room, accompanied by books, papers, and pens. It was my schedule for a psychological test and my dad is considerate enough to give me one, easy problem which goes like this: A boy heard a gunshot in his parents' room one night. The boy runs to the room, opened the door and saw his mom on the floor, bathing in her own blood. His dad was holding a gun, looking at his son with a big smile plastered across his face. "I killed your mom, son. Go, shoot me if you want to," his dad said and handed him the gun. If you were the boy, what would you do?

"How come I failed, dad? I think ignoring my father's demand and calling the police for help is the right answer. I shouldn't touch the gun for the police will use it to get the killer's fingerprints," I tried to reason out.

"That's where you're wrong, kid. Calling the police signifies weakness and running away from your problems. In times of danger, you shouldn't call for help because no one can save you but yourself."

I punched the table. "No fair! The question is illogical from the start! It's the boy's father!"

Dad laughed. "What's worst, ignoring your father's demand meant throwing away the responsibility given to you. When someone asked you to kill them, you should be willing to take it on."

"Eh?"

"You have to exterminate your enemy, Avery. You have to kill him even if it's me."

"Hey! Aren't you coming, Avery?" Colbie's voice made me revert to the present. It seemed that Dino had gone down using a ladder. How fast.

I climbed down using the ladder and smelled strong rust as soon as I got there. "What the," I muttered seeing guns arranged by size on the table. From the biggest rifle to the smallest revolver, it was a complete collection.

Colbie took a picture of the guns one by one. "Another souvenir."

"Seeing all these hidden weapons, who do you think used to live here?" Dino asked.

I took a deep breath, picking up the M16. "A group of people who might be preparing for a war."

**

Now, the threesome found a collection of guns. Who wants to stay in that cabin? Hahaha

[ VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE ]