12.2: Unarmed Comrades | Avery

"Why did you choose to live here?" I asked, gazing at the sun that peeked from the top of the mountains.

"I like being away from too many people. It helps me breathe. It helps me think of lyrics I put in my song," Luke casually answered.

"Are you sure we're safe here?"

"Yeah. No one can harm us here. The Rocky Mountains is our refuge." Luke opened the door and hopped off the car. We followed suit and went inside his house. It was made of bricks and has a white interior. There's a marble counter that divides the living room into two. Three large, red couches are positioned across each other, a wooden table sat at the center. A flat screen TV stood in front. Colbie went straight to the couch and lied down. "Oh, heavens," she uttered. Dino lied on the couch next to her, putting down his bag on the floor.

I stood at the corner, scanning my eyes around while Luke gets something in the kitchen. I grabbed the remote control and was about to turn the TV on when Colbie spoke, "Don't. I hate seeing the destruction of San Francisco in the news."

"Fine. I understand your grief," I casually agreed. I felt bad for her. Too many innocent civilians faced their unwanted death in the unexpected bombing. How can the survivors live again?

"Make yourself at home. I know you're tired," Luke said as he returned to the living room with a jar full of water. "C'mon, have a drink."

I picked a glass on the counter and poured some water in it. I passed the water to Dino who was staring at me with a sober look on his face. "I'll drink that if you tell me your story," he said.

I smirked. "Oh, that." I slugged the glass of water and sat down on the couch. "Okay. I think it's time for you to hear my side."

We formed a circle in the living room as I delivered my story.

"I was trained to be a fighter at a young age by my dad. One day, he left me and I lived alone since."

I began to tell them about the Sandler's who adopted me until they were killed when ARMOR bombed San Francisco. I didn't tell them the truth that ARMOR intentionally murdered the Sandlers in their own house and that their only son was killed right before my eyes.

"Since that day, I swore to find ARMOR's base. I will find out who their leader is and ask what their motives are."

I told them everything except for my dad being an ARMOR disciple and ARMOR targeting me because they know who I am. I didn't want them to know because I'm afraid they'll tell the cops. The fewer secrets I deliver, the less are the chances of me getting caught and the more I'll have the possibility to accomplish my plans of finding Jacob Collins.

"So, you're like a secret agent?" Dino asked.

"Sorta. I'm a secret agent who worked for no one but me and I'm telling you this so you'll be aware of the danger that might happen when someone found us."

"OMG." Colbie gasped.

Luke met my eyes. "Maybe I can help you?"

"Me as well. I don't feel like going home. I think there's a reason why San Francisco is bombed - so we'll find each other and form a team that would eradicate ARMOR," Colbie said like a pro.

"As much as I don't want to be a burden to anyone, I don't want to hurt people too," I refuted. I thought my unarmed comrades would be in danger when I drag them into my mess. I can't take seeing these 3 innocent people bath in their own blood. They're close to my heart now and I can't afford to lose them.

"What are you looking for, Avery? We've got you, a superagent, a techno boy right here, a sophisticated cam girl and a singer, chauffeur, hunk, playboy. A great team."

Luke blushed hearing Colbie's description of him. "Only if the playboy doesn't move parked cars again," she added. We laughed real hard in the living room.

"What a team," Luke commented, shaking his head. "Only if the green-haired brat dyed her hair black to avoid getting attention."

Colbie threw a pillow on him. "Stop imitating me, playboy!"

"Hey, we can use my gadgets to find ARMOR's base," Dino offered, pealing in.

I looked up at the chandelier hanging above, my eyes full of hope. It felt good to have back-up. However, when the road becomes too treacherous, I'll lock them on the safe side and run on my own. This is all about me; my chaotic life and so I'll face whatever the odds may be.

**