38 Lights in The Sky | Avery

Current time: Thursday, 16:30 EST
Current Location: Denver, Colorado, USA - 39.7392*N, 104.9903*W

The drive from Aspen to Denver is longer than it seems. We were driving for almost four hours but it wasn't bad at all. With my eyes on the road, I can tell Denver exudes a different kind of vibe. Every house I see had a wide balcony and flowers planted in clay pots were arranged in a fashionable way.

"Mr. Harris sounded kinda cool in his speech yesterday, ayt?" Luke asked as we neared the venue. He parked his car on the side and turned the engine off.

"Yeah. He delivered a speech of reassurance and strength so the American people will trust him," I answered.

"Do you trust the President?" Luke retaliated. I can sense suspicion in his tone, like he's wary of something.

"Ofcourse I do. He wouldn't be our President for nothing. Why'd you ask?"

He wet his lips. "Nothing. I mean, are you a free woman now Avery? Will you quit your role as an agent for peace and entrust everything to the man who runs the nation and to the military? Are you gonna live a normal life now?"

I never told Luke about my dad's letter which revealed the US President's secret and Luke never pestered me to tell him, either. He knew too well how to stand in his lane and not waddle with someone else's business.

I heaved a deep sigh. "No, Luke. I mean, not yet," I said. "My mission isn't over. Something inside of me demands I should exterminate all evil in this world."

"Okay, I get it," he said, looking upset. He hopped off the car and opened the door for me.

"Thanks."

"Don't mention."

I scanned my eyes around the area to see a number of people gathered together in the field. They sat on the ground, like they're having a picnic.

"Stay here for a while. I gotta pick the lanterns at the booth," Luke said to which I nodded.

My mind didn't heed his words as my feet drew me closer to the people in groups. I watched in awe at the kids who drew faces on their lanterns. Some even wrote words as Hello, Thank You, I Love You, and whatever wishes they had in mind.

I was too fascinated by the bonding between families that I stepped into someone's foot. "Geez. I'm sorry!"

"Aw, man, it hurts!" said a familiar voice. I raised my head to know who it was.

"Sykes?" I asked in disbelief. Seeing the guy beside her got me totally thunderstruck. "Ryle?"

"Avery Collins! Who knew we'd see each other here in Colorado!" Sykes exclaimed as she pulled me in for a tight hug. I had quite a few friends in Sacramento. Sykes and Ryle were some of them. Their likes and dislikes never matched years back that's why it's hard for me to believe that they're a thing now.

"So you two ended up being together?" I asked, teasing them.

"Opposites attract. Could anymore be real than that?" Ryle chimed in and the three of us chuckled in unison.

"How have you been all these years?" Sykes asked. As much as I don't want people to worry about me, I can tell a lie. "Oh, I'm fine. Life has been good to me. How about you?"

"We're good as well. We're actually expecting a baby girl this year," Ryle said, caressing the tiny bump in Sykes belly. We're only 18. But I think teenage pregnancy is okay as long as you're in good hands.

"Oh, congrats. I'm so happy for both of you."

Sykes held my hand. "And I'm so glad you've lived a good life. You're doing fine and still so beautiful as ever."

If only you knew how much I've been pained. I want to say it to her but I shook the thought off.

Luke comes with 2 pieces of lanterns and a bag of tacos on the other hand. I pulled him to my side and linked arms with him. "Oh, baby you're back! Anyways, guys this is Luke, my boyfriend."

Luke's eyes grew wide in shock. "Our first date," I added before he could even say something.

Sykes snickered. "Oh you look cute together. You're both gorgeous."

I grinned, meeting Luke's eyes which were so brown with incredulity. I elbowed him and only then did he smile at the couple.

"This is Sykes and Ryle, my childhood friends in Sacramento."

After exchanging greetings and a few nice words, we sat on the ground and eat the tacos he bought. It tasted good. Sykes and Ryle also offered some marshmallows dipped in hot chocolate.

The band started to play a while later. A girl did a fire dance on the stage, jiving to the music. They kept us entertained as we waited for the sun to set.

It was fun living in this world without worries. Happiness is free and the decision is yours to seize it.

When the night begins to crawl and darkness slowly enveloped the skies, the announcer asked us to light our sky lanterns. Luke lighted mine with a lighter. I looked at the lantern as it slowly puffed. Unlike the others, I only wrote one word in it.

LOVE.

If love is present in everyone's heart, peace will follow. Freedom will march on the road. Hope will sing and dance to the song of joy.

"5, 4, 3, 2, 1! Release your sky lanterns!"

I opened my hands and let go of the sky lantern. Slowly, it flew up in the sky. It's like my soul is being lifted from all the worries and baggage the world gave me, separating from my body and floats off into infinity.

My eyes wandered above as the sky lanterns light up the Colorado skies. It was so magical and surreal. It's too warm and bright. A tear rolled down my cheek as I thought of the people who died from the bombing. The ones close to my heart who left me. My mom Marina. The Sandlers. Colbie. Jacob Collins.

If only dad was here, I would tell him that I've forgiven him. I promised to not let his efforts go to waste. I'll continue to fight.

A pair of arms pulled me from behind. I was wrapped in a tight enfold, and nothing feels better than this at the moment.

"Sometimes, you just need to cool down for a bit. Enjoy what you see. Stop thinking about your problems, Avery. Feel the moment," Luke whispered to my ears.

Moans of ecstasy ringed in my ears and I turned to see Ryle and Sykes kissing torridly on the ground. They looked sweet. This festival might be perfect for night romance.

"Wanna do it with me?" Luke said and my cheeks flushed. I met his eyes which shone with the lights in the sky.

"Read through my eyes," I said. His brows creased and I snickered.

I made two quick blinks. Pause. .. I

One quick blink. One longer blink. Two quick blinks. .-.. L

Three long blinks. - - - O

Three quick blinks. One long blink. ... - V

One quick blink. . E

-.- Y
--- O
..- U

I chuckled as I finished. He was too concentrated on my eyes. I don't think he'd get it.

"I love you too, more than you could ever imagine," Luke said passionately and pressed his lips against mine, his hands wrapped around my waist. I was wrong. He knew how to read Morse Code. Along with thousands of lanterns, our souls merged as one. I kissed him tenderly as I placed my hands around his neck.

He broke the kiss. I felt disappointed at the loss of contact.

"Please stay with me longer than forever," he said and claimed my lips once more.

The night was warm, the sky was on fire. My heart raced with love and passion. I finally found the light to my dark life. He's right here infront of me, holding me close and never letting go.

**

Cringe! I'm not used to writing romantic chapters anymore! I forgot about it a long time ago xx