Chapter One

Julianna walked into the house and dumped her book bag on the counter. She looked in the fridge and shook her head. There was no food in the fridge – she would have to eat at the diner again. She was happy that she'd been able to get the job washing dishes, and she was even happier that she had the dinner shift. Not only did people tip better at dinner, and as dishwasher she was entitled to a small share, but she was able to get a square meal herself while she was there. It was part of her wages.

"Jules", said Aiden as he walked into the kitchen scratching his privates, "where were you?"

"I was at school, where I am every day", said Julianna. "And my name is Julianna. I am only Jules to my friends."

"And we are good friends, aren't we?" asked the man as he took a beer from the refrigerator. He popped the cap and took a long draught, and belched out a foul smell.

"No, actually, you aren't my friend", said Julianna. "You're the natural son of my foster parents. There's a big difference."

"You wound me", said the man. "I've noticed that you're looking very pretty lately."

"Thanks, but it's not for your benefit. I need to look pulled together for my job. I'm hoping when I'm old enough I'll be allowed to waitress."

"I thought you were getting dressed up for me."

Julianna looked at him in shock. "No. I don't want to appeal to you."

Aiden leered at her. "Of course, you do. You're looking very sexy."

Julianna made a sound of disgust. "I'm twelve. I'm not supposed to look sexy."

Aiden smacked his fleshy lips a few times. His gaze fell to her chest. "Your titties are growing. I was thinking we could have some fun together."

"Thank you, but no." Julianna eased her way between the counter and Aiden, and tried hard to avoid touching him as she sidled past. It was becoming more and more difficult to get away from him. He had started touching her and, when she complained to her foster mother, her foster mother told her that she was just making things up. She said she understood that she would be attracted to her son, but that nothing could happen between them. Her foster mother threatened to throw her out of the house if she didn't stop 'chasing' him.

Julianna wasn't enamoured with the foster family, but she didn't want to switch if she didn't have to. She had been through six foster families in the last eight years. In one case, the father was sexually abusive and, when the foster mother found out about it, she blamed Julianna. So Julianna was moved to another family. With the next family, the foster parents got pregnant by themselves and no longer had room for a foster daughter in their relationship. Julianna was moved again. In another family, they thought she was mentally unbalanced, just because she spoke to her guardian angel. She learned to keep her conversations in her head. And the other three were just because. She had been moved to another foster family for no apparent reason. This foster family was better than some. Until Aiden started bothering her recently, it was pretty good. If you could get past the dirt in the house, and the lack of food. "I need to get ready to go to work", said Julianna. "Let me go."

"Not until you give me a chance to feel your titties", said Aiden with a leer.

"Not going to happen", said Julianna. She looked at the time. She had just enough time to cut herself before she had to be at work. She quickly ran past Aiden and down the hallway into her room. She locked the door. Her foster parents didn't like her having a lock on her door, but she went to the hardware store herself and bought the lock, and installed it when they weren't home. Since her foster father knew nothing about house maintenance, he couldn't change the knob back into the unlocking one. She was grounded for locking her door, but it allowed her to sleep at night without worrying that Aiden would come into her room. She didn't trust him.