Chapter Three

"How do you feel?" asked Seth as he entered Julianna's cubicle. "It's nice to see you awake." He looked up at the monitors, pleased to see that her heart rate and blood oxygen levels were slowly rising again.

"It's your voice", said Julianna groggily.

"My voice?" He wrote some information down on her chart, then looked at her. She was very confused, and Seth wondered if she would remain awake this time. She had come to twice before that night, but hadn't remained awake long enough to ask any questions.

"It's your voice I keep hearing in my head."

"Is that a good thing?" asked Seth as he sat on the side of her bed. He tucked an errant piece of hair behind her ear.

"I've been hearing your voice for years." She raised her hand and winced as she felt the side of her face where Jason had hit her.

Seth smiled. "Am I saying good things?"

She nodded. "Yes."

"Then I'm glad you're hearing my voice. How are you feeling?"

Julianna's face came down in a frown. "Like I have the worst hangover in the world. But I don't understand. I was at the party. I wasn't drinking, but I started to feel drunk. And then I started to feel very drunk. And then I went to go home, and Jason..." She swallowed back a sob.

"Did he rape you?" asked Seth gently.

She looked confused. "I don't think so. Someone came and interrupted him, and beat him up for me. He had your voice."

He lifted her wrist and felt for her pulse for something to do, for an excuse to touch her and reassure himself that she was safe. "I'm sorry, but I've been at work all night. So, someone who sounds like me came and beat up your boyfriend for you?"

"He wasn't my boyfriend. He was just someone that I met at the party. He made me suck..." She stifled a sob.

He patted her shoulder in comfort. "I understand. What else do you remember?"

"Seth came and beat him up." She swallowed back another sob.

Seth looked at her. "That's my name, but I'm a doctor, not a fighter. I don't beat people up. Even if they deserve it." He smiled suddenly, and Julianna was struck by how handsome he was. "Instead I give them nasty-tasting medication and tell them that they have to take it several times per day."

"He was horrible." She looked down at the blanket and pleated it and unfolded it over and over again.

"Jason? He sounds like it. You're looking a little green around the gills. Do you need to throw up?" he asked as he handed her a disposable bowl.

"Thank you." She hugged the bowl into her stomach and took several shallow breaths.

"You were given a date rape drug. You don't have any alcohol in your bloodstream. I've alerted the authorities. They'll want to talk to you about whatever you remember."

"He was like Batman."

"Who?" He looked up at the monitors above her head as he again reassured himself that she was recovering.

"The person who saved me. He just swooped down, all covered in black, and made Jason stop. I think his name was Seth."

"Or you are just remembering it differently. Things get a little confusing when you are under the influence of GHB. Did he tell you his name was Seth?"

She looked confused and anxious as she tried to remember. "I don't think so."

"You were floating in and out of consciousness when you came into the hospital. You probably heard my name and my voice, and now you are attributing me to the person who saved you from Jason. Do you have a description of the person who saved you?"