Epilogue

"Seth, I won the Hoover scholarship!" said Julianna as she walked into the house after her therapy appointment and opened the mail. She did a little fist pump, then laughed at herself. Bender, their dog, jumped up on her, excited by her elation.

"Congratulations!" said Seth as he did the dishes and tried to remember which one was the Hoover scholarship. "Is that the one that pays you a lump sum to go to school with them?"

"It's the one hundred thousand dollar lump sum that's only offered to only one student in their freshman year, someone who has good marks and has proven to have overcome great adversity."

"So your essay about your suicide attempt and alcoholism mixed with your almost perfect marks did the job? It must have meant something when you were able to say that you had given up cutting as a coping mechanism."

"In the acceptance letter, they say that they're proud of me and that they'd be honoured if I'd accept the award. Isn't that great?"

"It is, but you know I would have supported you while you went to school."

"I know, but it means a lot to me to know that I'm pulling my weight financially." She still hadn't gotten used to someone caring for her as much as Seth cared for her, and she wondered if she would ever feel worthy of his love. The least she could do was to support herself to the best of her abilities. She still relied on Seth far too much for her own comfort level, but as he seemed to be happy she let it go.

"I was thinking, now that you're moving into my room with me, we need to pick new colours for the master bedroom. We also need to pick out a new duvet cover for my king."

"May I drive to the store? I need to get more practice in. My driving test is next week." She looked worried, and Seth hurried to reassure her.

"You can drive if you want but you don't need more practice. You're a better driver than most of the drivers on the road."

As much as Seth was vocally supportive of her, as much as the whole Asher family was supportive of her, Julianna was still uncomfortable with praise. She blushed as she changed the subject. "When do you want to go?"

"Before our shift at the hospital this afternoon? I was also thinking that we should buy you a car. Not today, obviously, but soon. You'll need it when you go to school in September."

She looked at him, shocked, not knowing what to say. Finally, she said, "you'll spoil me."

Seth, as usual with everything else he had bought her, said, "I've been waiting a long time to spoil you." Julianna looked embarrassed, and Seth decided that it was time to change the subject. "I was also thinking that seven months have passed since you moved in with me."

Julianna looked surprised. "They've flown by. It seems like just yesterday that I was in the hospital having my wrist surgery. And shortly after that I was in court with Jason and Vic, seeing them get sentenced."

"And shortly after that you were making the rounds of the various high schools in the city, giving talks on date rape. It's been a busy seven months. Has enough time passed for you to feel comfortable with me?"

She laughed. She didn't know where he was going with what he was saying but she tried to comfort him and reassure him in the way that he had reassured her so many times in the past. "I'm moving into your bedroom, aren't I?"

Seth smiled. "And you know that makes me very happy, but that's not what I was asking."

Julianna looked at him, her gaze turning soft with love. "You're my best friend. You've always been my best friend. Even when the only time I could talk to you was in my dreams."

Seth got down on one knee, taking a ring box out of his pocket. "You're my best friend as well. Do you think you could be more than my best friend? Do you think you could find your way to agreeing to marry me?"

She smiled as tears came to her eyes. "Oh, Seth. I would love to marry you." She paused, then said, "in a few years."

Seth smiled. She was getting better about sticking up for herself, for stating what she required from him, for talking about her needs as though she mattered. "Would you wear my ring until then?"

She grinned. "I will. I'd like to announce to the world that we intend to get married. Can you imagine how happy your parents will be?"

"Then hopefully this ring fits, because I'd love to have you wear it when you act as the maid of honour at Allyson's and Uncle Michael's wedding tomorrow." He opened the box and removed a ring, a large oval diamond with two smaller diamonds, one on each side. He slid it onto Julianna's finger. "I tried not to get one too big so that you could still wear it when you were working as a doctor. But if you don't like it, we can get another one for you."

She looked at it with tears in her eyes. "It's perfect, Seth." Then she paused, asking worriedly, "do you mind waiting a while until we get married? I'd like to be finished my undergrad first."

He smiled reassuringly at her. "I don't mind, just as long as you wear my ring on your finger. I don't want any of the other students coming on to you. You're mine. I've been waiting fourteen long years to be able to say that. I don't intend to wait any longer."

"You don't have to worry about anyone else. It's always been you", said Julianna. "Just you."