Chapter Eighteen

A couple of hours later, Julianna opened her eyes. "Welcome back", said Michael with a smile. "How do you feel?"

"Pretty good, actually", said Julianna. "I feel peaceful. I don't think I've ever felt peaceful before."

"That's the result of the medication. It hasn't left your system yet. The medication's effects will last for about four hours. There are some that last longer, but they also take longer to become effective. We chose this one because it's the fastest acting benzodiazepine out there."

"Will it always make me this sleepy?"

"Probably. That's why I've said that you can't take more than two per day. Otherwise you'd be sleeping all day, and avoiding your feelings like that won't make them go away."

She yawned and stretched. "I feel better than I have in a long time."

"And that's why that medication is so addictive. Your body gets used to it when you take it on a regular basis though, and when you come off it there can be a boomerang effect. You would be more anxious than if you didn't take it in the first place. As I said, we'll keep track of how you're feeling and how often you're using the medication and, if you need it on a regular basis, I'll switch you to another medication that isn't so addictive."

"Why don't you prescribe that medication now?" she said as she pushed aside the blanket and sat up slowly.

"That other medication you'd need to take every day, whether you require it or not. I'd rather see first how often you need this emergency medication before I start prescribing an antipsychotic."

"I'm not psychotic", she said uncomfortably.

"No, you aren't", he agreed, and Julianna looked reassured again. "But antipsychotics are useful in helping people with self-harm tendencies. It doesn't mean you're psychotic. They're just a class of drugs that have been known to help people with problems like yours."

Nervously, she swallowed quickly and wet her lips. "I'd hate for people to find out I was taking an antipsychotic."

Michael smiled reassuringly. "They won't find out unless you tell them. I'd assume that Allyson is discreet?"

"Yes, she is. But I've never had to take medication before."

"Do other people in your house have to take medication?"

"I don't know. Allyson meets all of us individually for ten minutes or so before bedtime, and she might hand out medication then."

"My guess is that she does, but she doesn't blab secrets. Taking medication, although there is no shame in it, is a secret that Allyson would keep. She respects your privacy."

Julianna stretched and winced slightly at the pull in her shoulder.

Seth walked into the room. "Good. You're awake. The stitches have all been set and you can go home now. Please don't get the stitches wet for forty-eight hours and when you do get them wet, pat them dry. I have also put cream on your abrasion on your wrist and have transferred your elastic band to your other hand. In addition to the antianxiety medication that Uncle Michael asked me to prescribe for you, I've included a prescription for an antibiotic cream. You should put that on your wrists at night and in the morning when they are injured, much like they were injured this evening. Put another thin layer of cream on in the morning. Okay? Do you have any questions?"

Julianna smiled and shook her head.

"Then, as usual, it was a pleasure seeing you. Take care of yourself, and I hope not to see you here again in Emergency."