Chapter Thirteen

"I think, Allyson", said Michael as he sat down to dinner, "that Julianna should go back to school tomorrow." Allyson looked concerned.

"That will be good", said Julianna. "I have a test in second period in Anatomy, and I want a good mark on it. I'm aiming to have the highest mark in the class for the year."

"Good for you", said Michael with a smile. "It's good to have goals."

"If I were you", said Josie, "I'd take another couple of days off. There are lots of rumors going around the school, and Jason is looking good in each one. The school doesn't have much respect for a group home girl."

"Then you'll have to trust the system and remember that Jason will likely be arrested soon. You'll have to continually remind yourself that this is not your fault", said Michael.

"But it is my fault. If I hadn't had the cola to drink..." said Julianna.

"There was no way of knowing that your cola was spiked", said Michael. "This was not your fault."

Julianna felt tears come to her eyes and she looked down at the table, intent on eating her dinner. Michael reached across and patted her arm. "It'll be all right", he said. "And although I trust that it'll be all right, I'm looking forward to hearing how your day went when you come to visit me tomorrow after school."

"You're seeing Dr. Asher again after school tomorrow?" asked Allyson.

"I've arranged for Julianna to come each day this week after school to tell me how it went. She'll need as much support as she can get over the next little while, and although you can provide much of that support, I'd also like to be there for her."

"Lucky", Josie murmured to Julianna. "Dr. Asher is a hunk."

Julianna turned red, but Michael just laughed. "Thank you", he said.