Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Did you talk to Michael last night?" asked Julianna this next morning.

"Yes, I did", said Allyson as she smiled at her. She felt more settled after talking to Michael. "I'm feeling more confident of your decision to move into Seth's house now."

"Thank you", said Julianna with a relieved smile.

"You mean you're leaving us?" asked Aggie with a worried frown. "I don't want you to leave us."

"I'll be eighteen next week, and as of next week I'll no longer be a ward of the government." Julianna tried to put a brave face on it for the sake of her housemates. She knew that her leaving would be almost as difficult for them as it would be for her.

"But you aren't finished high school", said Aggie. She loved Julianna like a sister, and she didn't want her to leave the home. She worried that Julianna would have to drop out of school. She had seen it happen before to other housemates when they left. She got angry. Julianna had such a good future ahead of her. How could Social Services force her to go?

"I know. That's one of the problems with having your birthday in January. Your birthday is in July, so you'll be able to finish your high school before you're kicked out of the home."

"Wow. When will we see you?" asked Aggie. She was determined to help Julianna as best as she could. She would see Julianna at school and, if she saved her allowance, she would be able to help support Julianna if need be. She didn't really need the money, but Julianna could go far. She decided to talk to Julianna about it if it seemed like Julianna was about to drop out.

"Julianna can still come for meals", said Allyson. "You're her family, and I don't want to cut her off. She can come for the group support sessions and the lessons in self-defence until she's more settled. And as I said, she can come for the odd dinner as well."

"Wait", said Josie. "Does this mean that you'll be living with that hunky doctor?"

"Yes", said Julianna with a laugh.

"Damn. I'd give you my spot in the home if you let me live with that doctor", said Josie as she started to drool. "He's one fine-looking man."

"I know", said Julianna as she blushed. "But more importantly, he's a nice man as well. He's very kind."

"That may be more important to you", said Josie with a grin, "but I would take a good-looking asshole over a nerdy-looking nice guy any day."

"Not me", said Julianna as she laughed. "Nice guys rule."

"I agree with Julianna", said Allyson. "There are a lot of assholes out there, but Seth is a good guy, and Michael says that he's only trying to do Julianna a favor. If nothing else, Seth's offer of a room will give Julianna some breathing room, and will allow her to look for another room at her leisure."

"Well, if Michael says..." said Josie with a smile. Allyson blushed, and the girls all laughed. "When will you move into Seth's house?"

"I have to talk to Seth about it", said Julianna as she looked a little overwhelmed again, "but if he's ready for me I was thinking that I would move into his house on the weekend."

"We should have a going-away party", said Aggie as she tried to make the best of things. "Just us, but a special dinner. Perhaps we could celebrate your birthday at the same time."

"I agree", said Allyson. "That's a very good idea. Do you mind if I invite Michael to it?"

"Yes, and Seth", said Julianna.