Chapter Thirty-One

Allyson was talking to Michael when Seth and Julianna walked into the room. "That's a relationship waiting to happen", whispered Seth to Julianna. "Uncle Michael has been looking for his other half for most of his life."

"I thought he had a grown daughter."

"Two actually, but it was different for him with his wife. She didn't connect with him, you know what I mean? She wasn't his other half. She loved him, and he loved her. But they weren't right for each other. They just wanted to get together because they were getting older and both wanted kids. They had grown up with each other."

"What happened to his wife?"

"They divorced about five years ago, and it was the best thing to happen to Uncle Michael. He's much happier now. And it has been good for my cousins. They say that it's nice to have both their parents so happy. They hadn't seen much happiness when they were growing up. However, Uncle Michael seems very taken with Allyson. I asked him about her last night, and all he would say is that he'd like to see Allyson outside the group home. He asked me to find out when she next has time off."

Julianna smiled, happy for her friend. "She has every second weekend off completely, and she has the days off while we're at school. She also has every Wednesday night off, although she often works them anyway. She says there's little she needs to do that she can't get done on her weekend off. I don't think she has anywhere else to stay outside of the group home. She seems lonely and just as tied to the home as any of us."

"Okay. I'll tell Uncle Michael her schedule. I know he'd like to invite her to a movie or out to dinner. However, with her having her days free, he could also invite her to lunch one day. He's very interested in her, so assuming she's also interested in him, I'm sure they'll find some time to get together."

"Oh, I know she's interested in him. She blushes every time his name is mentioned, and we've been mentioning his name a lot because we're enjoying seeing her blush."

Seth laughed. "You're bad."

Julianna smiled. "It's not just me. Everyone in the house has been teasing her. That's the one thing about living in a group home. There are few secrets, even secrets between the coordinators and the residents."

"That can be comforting."

"It depends upon the secret. The lack of privacy can also be challenging."

Julianna slept for the first time at Seth's house that night, and she found it difficult to fall asleep without Josie's snores beside her. The queen-sized bed was big compared to the twin she had been sleeping in, and the profound silence meant that she was uneasy. She cast her mind out to see if she could talk to her guardian angel. "I've moved", she said.

"How are you doing with it?"

"Better than I would've suspected. It helps that Seth is so supportive. He talked to me for a while tonight after the party and made me feel more comfortable. But the house is so silent."

"What do you mean?"

"At the group home, there's always someone in the bathroom, and the sounds of people snoring or doing their homework. Here it's quiet."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"Not necessarily. It's just something to get used to. I imagine it will be better when we get a dog."

"Are you thinking about getting one soon?"

"I don't know. Seth mentioned it, and a dog would make me feel more secure at night when he's working. But we haven't talked any further about it since the conversation first came up, and I don't want to mention it when we aren't used to living together yet. I think it would be a good idea to get used to each other first."

"How will you be when Seth is working the night shift and you're alone in the house?"

"I'll get used to it. Seth showed me how to set the security system, and I plan on putting on the security system when I'm in the house alone. It will give me peace of mind."

"Good. Besides the house being too quiet, how do you like the house and your room?"

"I love my room. Seth painted the walls and installed new blinds, exactly the kind of blinds that I would have chosen myself. The room is the nicest room that I've ever seen. I can hardly believe my luck."

"So, you think you'll like living with Seth?"

"I do. He's funny and smart and kind. I couldn't ask for a better person to share space with."

"I guess you haven't started cooking for him yet."

"He said that he isn't much of a cook, but that's okay. I like cooking and, he said when I do the cooking, he'll clean up the kitchen. Do you know how nice it will be to be able to cook and never worry about cleaning up the kitchen? It's the best of both worlds."

"Sounds it. You don't sound sleepy."

"Seth has my medication, but I told him I'd like to try to fall asleep without it. I want to see if I can manage my desire to cut myself without taking medication."

"Do you think you're ready for that?"

"I think so. After talking to Seth this evening, I felt peaceful, as if I had taken an antianxiety medication already. But I hadn't. So, I thought I'd try to fall asleep by myself."

"And how is that going?"

"Okay. I'm a little off-balance, but I don't think I need the medication tonight. I feel too good about things."

"I'm glad. What happens if you need it in the middle of the night?"

"Seth said he doesn't sleep much, and he wakes and falls asleep easily. He told me that, if I needed some medication, I should come and wake him. He said he could dispense the medication and be back asleep before I'd be able to make it back to bed myself."

"Sounds ideal. What will you do when Seth is at work?"

"I was thinking I'd ask him to leave one tablet out for me to take as needed. Then, if I need the medication, I have it there. But I wouldn't have so much in front of me that I'd be in danger of overdosing."

"Do you think you're in danger of overdosing?"

"I don't know. I hate myself enough to. Sometimes the idea of taking it all is so attractive."

"Does Seth know that? Perhaps this is something he should know."

"I don't want to tell him. I'm already the crazy one for cutting myself all the time."

"But you haven't cut yourself in a long time. It's been a week and a half at least since you last cut yourself."

"I know, and part of the reason for that is because Allyson had my knife."

"Did she give it back to you when you moved out of the home?"

"She did. I put it in my sock drawer."

"Why your sock drawer?"

"I don't know. I just figured it was a good place to put it."

Seth laughed. "I should let you go. You need some sleep."

"Okay. Will I see you in my dreams?"

"Absolutely. I wouldn't have it any other way."

"Will I meet you soon? I turn eighteen on Monday."

"I know, sweetheart, and I'll introduce myself soon. Take care of yourself and I love you."

Julianna smiled. "I love you, too."