Chapter Twenty-Three

"What's wrong?" asked Seth. He sensed her upset as he followed her down the front walkway from the house.

"I was just kicked out of the group home", she said sadly. She flicked the elastic against her wrist a few more times.

"Why?" he asked as he opened the car door for her. He waited until she had got in before he shut the door. Julianna waited until he was in the car with her again before she started to explain.

"I'll be eighteen in another week. You aren't allowed to stay there past the age of eighteen. I knew the rules, but because no one said anything I was hoping that I wouldn't have to leave until I finished high school. Now I'll have to find a job and find a place to live all in the next week or two."

Seth smiled as he made an instant decision. "Finding a place to live will be easy. It's good timing. I was just thinking that I'd be interested in renting a room to someone. I have a nice house, but it's a little lonely living there by myself. I was hoping to find someone to share my space. Are you a particularly messy person?"

Julianna gave a wan smile. "Not particularly. I'm used to cleaning up after myself."

"I'm used to working evenings and weekends, so when you are trying to study I won't be there making noise. It could work out well. And if you need a doctor, I'll be there to help you. After knowing you for the last week, I think that should be the biggest attraction of all." Julianna didn't smile at his joke. Seth probed her emotions. They were a seething roil. "Talk to my uncle about it", he suggested. "I sense that you're upset right now, and this isn't the best time to discuss it."

"You're right. I'm upset and don't want to talk about it right now. Allyson said that she just found out that my petition was denied today, and now there is only one week to go. There's a little leeway before I have to move, but I need to do this as soon as I can."

"I suspect she doesn't want to let you go."

Tears welled on her lashes, and she brushed them away. "I don't want to go either. I like living there. I have support. I won't have the same support if I was living on my own." She snapped her elastic a few more times.

"No, you won't. But you have alternative forms of support now. You have my uncle, for one."

"But he'll have to leave me as well", she said as she brushed away another tear. She looked down at her hands. "When I leave the home, I'll no longer be covered under the health plan that Social Services offers. That means that I'll no longer be able to see him. I won't be able to afford it."

Seth turned into the main street where his uncle's office was located. "Talk to him about it. I doubt my uncle will cut you off."

"I'm sorry if I'm not good company right now", said Julianna. "Even though I knew it was coming, it still took me by surprise. And the amount of time that I was left to pull everything together is overwhelming."

"I understand." He stopped at a red light and turned to face her for a moment.

"Why are you so understanding? I feel like I can talk to you about anything."

He smiled. "You can." The light turned green again.

"Do they teach you special skills in compassion when you become a doctor?" she smiled, a strained smile, but Seth was glad to see the smile nevertheless.

Seth laughed. "No, I think that's something you need beforehand to become a good doctor."

She smiled again. Her smile looked a little less forced. "And you're a good doctor."