xv. codependent

"Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far
safer to be feared than loved."
-Niccolo Machiavelli
________________________________

"I HONESTLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT
was wrong with you yesterday. But if you don't wanna talk, I respect that." Joe said to Oliver from his spot at his desk.
"I'd rather not go into it." Oliver spoke honestly.

Most people in the precinct knew that today was Joe West's birthday. No one said anything, though. Joe decided to think nothing of it and went on with his day as he normally would.

What Joe didn't know was they were planning a surprise party for him later in the day.
Barry was tasked with the job of distracting him and getting him out of the precinct.

"Oliver? A word, please." Barry called over to Oliver to talk to him, showing up out of nowhere.

"Umm.. yeah, sure." Oliver said, standing up. He was genuinely confused.

"What's up?" Oliver questioned once they walked away some.
"I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I don't know how to distract someone." Barry whispered.
"You know how to distract me." Oliver smirked.

"Well, yeah. It's different with you, though." Barry said quietly, lightly shoving
Oliver's shoulder.
"Take him to lunch. Take him to his house and make him take a nap. Anything." Oliver said, listing off suggestions.
"Okay, okay. I got this. Thanks." Barry said, pecking Oliver's lips and walking away.

Oliver stood there confused for a second, not expecting the kiss. But in the end, he ultimately decided to just accept it and walk
back to his desk.

~~~

Around their normal lunchtime,
Barry showed up again.

"Hey guys." Barry greeted.
"Hey." Oliver and Joe said simultaneously.

"Joe, wanna go grab some lunch?" Barry questioned.
"I thought you would've been going with Oliver." Joe said, confused, looking
between the two.

"I already told him I can't. I have a very important phone call to make." Oliver smoothly lied.
"Oh, okay." Joe responded, "Well sure, Barr. Let's go." Joe said, grabbing his coat and standing up.
"See you two later." Oliver waved.

Once Barry and Joe were in the elevator and out of sight, it was go time.
Everyone had slyly watched and waited for them to be gone.
Everyone was hopping up from their chairs and meeting in the middle of the open room.

The officers and detectives and Captain Singh put Oliver in charge of the party.
Since Oliver had no party planning experience, he called Iris.
She was hiding out in Barry's lab.

"Okay, everyone. The party supplies and food are in the back of my car. So, once we go get everything, start decorating and let's make it look cute." Iris smiled at everyone, "Lets go!"

With that, few people started cleaning up a few things and the rest started heading downstairs to grab the supplies.

~~~

"This looks great, guys." Oliver said to everyone once they were finished
with everything.
"It really does." Iris added, taking another survey of the decorated room.