xxv. believe

"The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention."
-Oscar Wilde
________________________________

The day was normal. Cars honked, people chattered, and the birds chirped. Oliver walked into work with a smile, knowing he'd have a good day. His life going just the way
he's always wanted.

"Morning Joe." Oliver said, sitting down
at his desk.

"Good morning." Joe responded, not looking up from his newspaper.

"Oliver, hi, it's been awhile."

"Phoebe, hey. How's it going?" Oliver asked.

"Things are going." Phoebe nodded, "What about you?"

"Pretty great, honestly." Oliver smiled.

"Oliver?" Joe questioned, looking over at him with a raised eyebrow.

"What's up?" Oliver asked, making eye contact.
"Who're you talking to?" Joe asked.

"I'm talking to—" Oliver said, turning to look at Phoebe to see that she was gone. He cleared his throat and finished his sentence, "Nobody."

"You okay, son?" Joe asked.

"I'm fine. I'm just gonna go get some air." Oliver said, rubbing his forehead and standing up, walking out of the precinct.

"Barry!" Joe yelled, spotting him talking to someone across the precinct.

Barry looked like he was excusing himself because he turned and started to quickly walk over to Joe, already noticing the concern plastered all over his face. "What's wrong?"

"Was Oliver acting normal this morning?"
Joe asked.

"I don't know. I haven't seen him since last night." Barry said, "Why?"

"He started acting strange. You should probably go check on him. He went outside."

"Okay, yeah. I'll go do that. Thanks." Barry said before running off to get downstairs.

"What's wrong with me? Am I going insane? Does Phoebe even exist?" Oliver whispered to himself, pacing back and forth in front
of the precinct.

"Of course I exist. I'm standing right here." Phoebe said, waving her hands around.

"Stop doing that." Oliver fussed, stopping where he was.

"Doing what?" Phoebe asked.

"Popping up out of nowhere and disappearing." Oliver said, seeming extremely frustrated.

"I'm not." Phoebe lied.

"Go away. You're not real. Go away." Oliver whispered, closing his eyes.

A hand was put on Oliver's shoulder, scaring him, causing him to jump away.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to scare you."

Oliver turned to where Phoebe was just previously standing and sighed out of relief when she wasn't there anymore.

"It's fine." Oliver said, turning to the person who apologized, seeing that it was his
amazing boyfriend.