xxiv. adorable

"All love shifts and changes. I don't know if you can be wholeheartedly in
love all the time."
-Julie Andrews
________________________________

"OLIVER, STOP WALKING SO FAST,
I can't keep up." Barry fussed.

"Sorry." Oliver said, slowing down a bit, guiding Barry to the room number that Benjamin texted to him just a few
minutes before.

Barry wasn't paying attention to the walls or where exactly in the hospital that they were. He was just following Oliver and making sure he didn't run into anyone.

"Here we are." Oliver said, knocking on the door, trying to not be too loud.

A nurse opened the door, letting the two in.

"Surprise!" Iris whisper yelled from her spot on the hospital bed with her baby in her arms.

"No. Way." Barry said, his eyes widening.
"You liar." Barry said to Oliver, lightly smacking his arm.

"Hey, I didn't lie. I said alive. Guess what, they're all alive." Oliver defended himself, gesturing to the three other people in the room.

"Boy or girl?" Oliver asked, not being told beforehand and not being able to tell because of the gender neutral hat on the baby's head.
"Girl." Iris smiled.
"Yes!" Barry grinned, "I was right."

"Congrats brother." Oliver said, giving Benjamin a quick hug. Barry hugging
him as well.
"Thanks." He laughed.

"Congratulations to you too, girl." Barry said, hugging Iris.

"What's her name?" Barry asked, looking down at the newborn in Iris' arms.
"Ester Grace Porter." Benjamin answered.

"Awe, you guys named her after grandma Ester? That's adorable." Barry grinned.
"Yeah, we talked about it and it just
stuck." Iris said.

"Do you wanna hold her?" Iris asked.
"Yes, please." Barry said.
"Okay, here. You know what to do." Iris said, gently handing over Ester to Barry.

"I know. I know. I've held babies before." Barry laughed, carefully adjusting Ester into his arms to where she'd be safe and her head
was cradled.

"She's so light." Barry said, chuckling as he looked down at the newborn.
"She's only just under seven pounds." Benjamin said, sitting on a chair near the wall.

"Does Joe know yet?" Barry asked, carefully sitting on the side of Iris' hospital bed.
"He actually doesn't. We wanted to surprise everyone, but we had to tell someone in order to start the surprises." Iris answered.

"How do you want us to get him here?"
Oliver asked.
"I was thinking about you guys getting him and  spilling the news. But minus her gender and name, you know." Benjamin said.
Iris nodded, agreeing with Ben.

"Sounds like a plan. I think he's working late today." Oliver said.

"Great." Iris smiled. "Oh yeah, and Oliver, if Barry will give up holding Ester, you
can hold her."

Barry gave her a little glare and walked over to hand the newborn to Oliver.

"How many babies have you held before, Oliver?" Benjamin asked, noticing how perfectly he held Ester.
"Just two. Since I've been grown, at least. Three, if we're counting when I was little." Oliver answered, letting the baby hold his pointer finger.