prologue

Dying.

They say it's hurtful. Some say it's peaceful. The other says it depends on how you live your life. But, guess I'll never know as myself never experience it and the dead man never tells the tale.

I'm standing on the corner, watching doctors and nurses do something what most of them do in the TV I usually watched after school. They are busy, trying to save Mom's life despite the flatline sound. It all happens so fast, they don't notice I'm still standing here, watching them. 

I don't know what to hope anymore. Hope for she dies and gets out from her endless misery or hoping for she lives so I'm not gonna be alone in this cruel world. Either way, whatever she chooses.

"Time of death?" One of the doctor asks her colleague.

"3.55."

The nurse covers Mom's face with the whitest sheet I've ever seen.

"I'm sorry for your loss." The other doctor pats my arm before leaving me.

Then one by one leaves me here, alone, with my dead Mom. I take a step closer to her and open the sheet. She looks peaceful and still pretty. I can still feel her warmth when I reach to hold her hand.

This past year haven't been easy for us, especially her. I know this day will come, eventually. I've prepared myself for the worst since the day doctor sentenced her death to both of us. But still, it doesn't make it hurt any less.

Can't cry, too angry. Can't be mad, too sad.

"May you rest in peace Mom. Thanks for trying and fighting for both of us."

I cover her face after taking a long sight of her pretty face.

We'll meet again Mom, under better circumstances. I promise you.

 I promise you