skip state

'friends make your day and yourself a lot better. a best friend makes your day insane and keeps you sane'

I'm staring at my locker. I have English class in 10 minutes but my brain is in skip state as I can't remember where my English book. Principal told me to take off for a week but it's only one day after Mom's funeral and I can't sit in home wondering about Mom all the time. School, full of people is what I need.

"Hey."

I turn my head to see Luke in his plain black t-shirt covered with his jeans jacket, leaning on the locker next to me.

"No letterman jacket?" I ask as I'm searching for my English book.

"Washed. Mom protested because I wear it everyday so she threw it to the washing machine."

"Hahaha I can imagine your Mom's ramble about your jacket."

"I thought you take a week off."

"I thought so." I look around, a few students smile at me. Some say hello or hey when passing me. "I need a crowded place."

"Have you eaten?"

I shake my head, "damn it. Where's that shitty book?"

"You need to eat."

I roll my eyes. "Tell me something I don't know."

"Don't be a bitch."

"Sorry."

"Your English book is with me. I borrowed it last week. Remember?"

I close my locker, "why don't you say something?"

"That's why you need to eat so your brain is in full health."

I throw back my head in annoyance. "Fine, I'll eat. At lunch."

"Sounds good."

We both walk side to side to Mr. Hernandez's class.

Luke Wilson is my longest friend in my life and the greatest friend I could ask. We were friends since elementary school. First day at school, all seat was already taken except the chair next to me. Luke with his dashing blue eyes and brown hair came to me and in confident pulled the chair and introduced himself.

Since then we were practically a sibling. We studied together, snuggled in bed together, binged-watching together, went to concert together, had our first beer together. Everything together. My heart was a little broken when he dated Candace, captain cheerleader with a nice and a big heart. I can't hate her because she's so nice to me. Luke deserves a nice girl like her. I'm practically third-wheeling them everywhere they go.

We arrive at the almost full class. I sit at my usual seat and Luke sits behind me next to Candace.

"Hi, babe. Guess who I found staring at the locker."

"Hi, honey. B, I thought you take a week off?"

I rummage my bag, trying to find my pencil case.

"Beatrice."

"Uh, what?" I turn my head to Candace's direction.

"Are you okay?" She looks worry, really worry not a fake one.

"Yeah. I just can't find my pencil case. I swear I had it this morning before school."

"Here, use mine." Luke gives me his favorite pen. I nod my head and accept it. "Oh, here's your book." He takes out my book from his bag and gives it to me.

"Thanks."

Mr. Hernandez steps into the class and starts the lecture. I open my book and find Luke's doodle in one of the page and his handwriting. Luke can be sweet sometimes even though he knows how I hate it when he doodles and scribbles in my book.