TWENTY

I once had a grip on everything
It feels better to let go
I'm not over
I'm not over you just yet
Cannot hide it
You're not that easy to forget
I'm not over

The red haired woman looked at me from behind the door. Jaxon turned with a look of confusion on his face until he saw me. When his eyes met mine, they widened and filled with dread.

"Sorry, I-uh- wrong hall, I guess." I stuttered and began walking back in the direction I came quickly.

"Lyla!" He called behind me.

I quickened my pace, trying to get away from him as tears ran down my face.

How could he? And right after I got my father's approval.

My tears fell faster by the moment. I felt his hand grab my waist and I ripped myself from his grip.

"Do. Not. Touch. Me." I ground out through clenched teeth.

"Lyla, please. Let me explain," he pleaded.

"There is nothing to explain." I walked away from him again and I felt him trail behind me from a distance.

I finally found my way back to the hallway my room is in. As I made my way to my room, I could still feel Jaxon's eyes on me. Suddenly, Lance rounded the corner and caught a glimpse of my face. I pulled my head down but grabbed his hand and pulled him into my room. I closed the door behind us and locked it.

Jaxon began banging on the door. "Lyla, please."

Lance looked at me and I shook my head at him through tear filled eyes.

The banging stopped after a few minutes and I assumed he left. I plopped down on the bed, sobs taking over my body. Wrapping my arms around my knees, I dropped my head onto them.

"Hey, come here," Lance said softly as he sat next to me. He grabbed my arms and pulled me to him. He hugged me tightly as I cried into his shirt. I slowly got control over my body and made myself stop crying.

"What happened?" He asked.

"I went looking for Jaxon. I had good news. Great news. I walked down the other hallway containing the other bedrooms trying to find his. Right as I walked around the corner, he walked out of another woman's room. He was buttoning his shirt and she only had a bra and panties on." Tears began streaking my face again.

"Lyla," he whispered. He wiped my tears from my eyes. I looked up at him and smiled sadly.

"I'll be okay. Go get some sleep."

"Do you want me to stay with you?"

"It'd be better if you didn't. I'd cry more. Maybe alone I can tune it out." I knew I was lying but I couldn't stand for him to see me so weak.

He nodded and stood. He leaned down and pressed a kiss to my forehead. As he pulled away, he searched my eyes.

"My room is down that other hall if you need me. I'll put a sticky note on my door so you know which one is mine."

I nodded. He walked out of my room. As he opened the door, I made eye contact with Jaxon who was sitting on the floor. His head was in his hands, his knees pulled up to his chest. He looked up right as the door opened. His eyes were bloodshot, like he'd been crying. I held my mouth as a sob wracked my body again. He stood but Lance stopped him by locking the door behind himself as he closed it.

The knob rattled and I heard Jaxon begin cussing. I fell back onto the bed and pulled a pillow to my stomach, clutching it like my life depended on it.