TWENTY-SEVEN

I'll use you as a warning sign
That if you talk enough sense then you'll lose your mind
And I'll use you as a focal point
So I don't lose sight of what I want

The next morning, I woke to a knock on the door. I reached across the bed but the space beside me was empty. With a groan, I stood. The pain had subsided drastically and I was just slightly uncomfortable.

I opened the door and Lance smiled at me.

"You ready to train?"

"Yes! Just give me 10 minutes to shower."

"Alright. I'll be out back on the patio."

I quickly jumped in the shower. I scrubbed my skin until it was red, still trying to scrub away the Mark left on my skin.

Ten minutes later, I made my way across the lawn toward the warehouse. Lance strolled next to me, humming a tune.

"Lance, please stop humming."

He laughed at me and began humming louder. I punched his shoulder.

"Ow!" He yelped. "I don't think you need much training with that arm."

I rolled my eyes at him but a small smile graced my lips.

We stepped through the big doors on the warehouse. Boxes adorned the walls. The place was very organized. No doubt my father's doing.

"So, your sister?"

"Yeah?" I smirked over at him.

"She's your age, I'm assuming? Since you're twins?"

"Mhm?"

"Okay, just wondering."

I bumped my shoulder with his as we made it to the stairs. "Why are you so interested in her?" I joked.

He grabbed my arm and stopped me. I turned to look at him. His face was serious so I dropped my smile.

"Lyla, at the ball, I told you that I had a crush on you. And I did. Except, it was a little more than a silly crush. I thought I could just get over it but I couldn't. Then, a woman walks in who looks almost identical to you, and my whole world flips. Maybe, I don't know. Maybe she's meant for me. Maybe that's why I met you."

My eyes widened at his confession. "Wow."

He nodded. "Anyways, let's get down there, yeah?"

I smiled up at him. "Yeah."

We walked down the steps and Lance opened a door. I was met with the smell of blood and sweat. It burned my nostrils but yet filled my body with a wild feeling of anticipation.

Men were everywhere. Some punching heavy bags, others punching each other. There was a gym area to the side and there were men there as well. Niccolai made his way toward me.

"Welcome, love. You're the first woman to step foot down here."

"It's 'No girls allowed'," Lance winked at me.

"Why is that?"

"The women here don't train. They stay out of harms way. Women are meant for the home. Cleaning, cooking, raising the children, all that. The men handle the business."

I scrunched my nose in disgust. I didn't like that idea.

Why do men get to do all the heavy lifting?