THIRTY

I gripped the bouquet firmly in my hands as I watched the next girl make her way down the aisle. I was next.

I squeezed my legs together, making sure my pistol was still in place. Something is going to happen. I can feel it.

The wedding planner signaled me. It was my turn to walk. I stepped out from behind the curtain and began my walk down the aisle. My eyes scanned the crowd with urgency. I needed to make sure that there was no one threatening here. As my eyes found Jaxon, the rest of the room disappeared. He smiled at me. I felt my heart flutter. I know this isn't my wedding to him but after that moment, I cannot wait for us to be married. I took my place on the alter and looked back down at my sister as she came down the aisle. After her, my mother will be revealed. Elizabeth took her place next to me.

"It's showtime," she whispered.

The crowd was asked to stand. As the song began, the curtains were released, falling into a pool right before my mother. Everyone gasped at her beauty.

I looked over at my father, who had tears streaming down his face. My mom, too, had begun crying as she walked toward him.

I felt tears brimming my eyes but I pushed them down, wanting to be on high alert.

The ceremony continued but I blocked everything out, keeping my eyes on the entrances. I felt someone's eyes on me. I looked over at Jaxon and his eyebrows were scrunched together in confusion.

"What's wrong?" He mouthed.

I shook my head and continued scanning the room.

"You may now kiss the bride."

The entire room erupted with cheer. Everyone stood and I could no longer see the doors.

That's when it happened.

An explosion erupted in the courtyard. The glass windows shattered. People began screaming. I made eye contact with Jaxon again as he pulled a gun from his jacket.

I pulled up my dress and unholstered my pistol. The entire crowd dispersed. Some ran away, some grabbed guns and stood rigid, waiting to see what happened next.

"Lyla!" Lance called.

I looked behind me and he tossed me an automatic rifle. I holstered my pistol back. Holding the gun with two hands, I scanned the crowd. Another explosion sounded. This time, it was the bar. The explosion was so close to me that I was thrown backwards. I heard Elizabeth scream. I looked around and found her. She had glass sticking out of her skin.

"Lance!" I screamed. "Get her out of here!"

Jaxon came to me. "I need to get you out of here Lyla."

"No, not again. I'm fighting this time. I'm sick of this running shit."

He shook his head. "No! Lyla, it is my job to protect you! I'm getting you out of here."

"And I am telling you, I am staying right here."

He stared at me for a moment but before he could say anything else, someone walked through the broken glass doors of the courtyard.

I raised my gun and aimed it right at him.

"Son of a bitch."

Jaxon turned. "I'm going to kill him."

Jaxon took of running and tackled Mark to the ground. "You are supposed to be dead, you piece of shit!"

Jaxon began punching Mark in the face repeatedly. More men began to flood into the room. Shots began firing left and right. I couldn't take my eyes off of Mark. My ex, my kidnapper, my rapist. I felt red hot rage fill me to the brim.

I started moving toward him and Jaxon as they rolled around, fighting. I saw someone aim their gun at Jaxon and I shot him, without flinching. I watched his body hit the ground and continued moving forward. I felt nothing.

There were shots sounding everywhere around me. But there was one shot that was the loudest. A bullet tore through Jaxon's right shoulder. He fell backwards, off of Mark. Mark got up quickly and grabbed his gun but I got there before he could kill Jaxon. I spread my legs and stood over Jaxon's body.

"Shoot him and you die," I ground out.

"Ha! What are you going to do, bitch? You're weak. You're helpless."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that."

"You've never even shot a gun, woman."

"Try me."

He put his gun in the back of his pants and walked toward me. Once he got close enough, I twisted the gun around quickly and hit him in the nose with the butt of it.

"SON OF A BITCH!" He yelled, gripping his nose as blood gushed out.

"COME ON!" I yelled.

I dropped the gun, getting ready to beat his ass.

He moved forward again and I punched him in the throat. He stumbled back, gurgling and choking.

I took his moment of weakness to my advantage and kicked him in the balls. As he fell to his knees, I kicked him in the face. I stepped behind him and wrapped my arm around his throat. As he began choking, Jaxon grabbed the gun and started shooting the people trying to come to his rescue.

Mark regained his strength quickly. He grabbed my arms and slung me over his head. I landed hard on my back. The breath rushed out of my lungs and I couldn't breathe. He crawled on top of my body, pinning down my arms.

"Don't make me fuck you in front of all these people, including your boyfriend."

I spit in his face. "I am going to kill you."

He used his knee to rub against between my legs.

"I know you like that."

"You are a sick fuck," I heard someone say from behind him. The butt of a gun hit him in the back of the head. As he fell behind me, I quickly unholstered my pistol and stood. I aimed my gun right between his eyes and shot.