Cinders & Gold ◇ Corvan & Zion

remember to vote and comment. might bring back the shoutouts i used to do, who knows?

•••

chapter twenty nine
CORVAN AND ZION

Once Genevieve had left the room and closed the door behind her, Zion narrowed his eyes at Corvan.

"You," he said. "What do you want?"

If Corvan was surprised at the tone of voice that Zion was using to address him, he didn't show it. Instead, his jaw ticked as he gave the blue haired lad a frigid gaze.

A huge part of the first ranker suspected that Zion had recovered some part of his lost memory, judging by how the lad had narrowed his eyes. That was a look that Zion only reserved for the first ranker, and it was full of pure resentment and loathing.

Corvan decided to throw a figurative dart in the dark to gauge whether or not Zion remembered what happened. He didn't want to seem too upfront about it.

"How's your head?" asked the first ranker in a tentative manner.

Zion crossed his arms over his chest. "I remember you, Lord Corvan."

The blue haired lad spat out the words mockingly. Even so, Corvan seemed unbothered. The first ranker merely raised his trimmed brow in askance.

"As you should." A hint of cockiness laced Corvan's voice.

Zion rolled his eyes and threw himself on the bed and promptly laid in a lazy posture—his arms behind his head. "Let me guess, you've come to mock me and remind me yet again of how you're the boss of my boss's boss—"

"On the contrary," Corvan stepped further into the room. "I was coming to see how you're faring on."

Zion dragged his gaze from the ceiling to meet Corvan's frosty emerald eyes. A small chortle escaped his throat. "As if I'll fall for that. Nice try, by the way."

Corvan scowled. He wasn't used to anyone not taking him seriously. But this was Zion. Looking back, the first ranker could have never dreamed that this day would come; him trying to reconcile and patch things up with the blue haired mongrel.

Slight annoyance and impatience coursed through Corvan, but he suppressed the urge to throw demeaning words at Zion. Rather, he curled his fist and remembered the promise he had made to Valeriana. Corvan wouldn't want that godsdamned stupid wench breathing down his neck just because he hadn't fulfilled what was to be done.

"I'm not jesting," said the Arlandian heir.

"Why are you really here?"

"I've come to offer you my aid," Lord Corvan fixed his cravat out of habit. "You might as well feel honored and take it."

"No," Zion sat up. "I'm not falling for that. There must be an underlying motive. I think I remember you well enough to know that you're the most self centered person in the whole world, and people like me are like dirt on your shoe to you."

The muscle under Corvan's eye twitched furiously. He let out a frail sigh. Zion was partly right. The mongrel was just a Baron and would in no way ever match up to him in the aspect of behavior and nobility.