Cinders & Gold ◇ Trickster

here's another chapter. don't forget to drop your thoughts.

•••

chapter thirty five
TRICKSTER

"Hello, Corvan."

Alovia's sickly sweet and honeyed voice gyrated on Corvan's nerves as they kept walking away from the dancefloor. He threw a subtle gaze around and saw that the nobles were watching him, including his parents.

The first ranker saw his mother smiling at him, probably relieved and proud that he had finished the Test. But Lady Saskia's expression only made Corvan's jaw twitch harder. Did she think that whoever he was walking with at his right hand was Valeriana?

What would his family think now that he had failed the Test?

He was sure to be a huge disappointment to them. His grandmother would definitely have more reason to think he was unworthy, now that he had brought his family's glove to shame.

Corvan's brows furrowed even deeper, and he was on the verge of losing his cool as he could no longer stand to continue his walk of shame.

"Don't even think about it," the countess beside him gripped his elbow tighter, seeming to be aware of his intentions. "Keep up the face, my lord. You don't want to cause a scene."

Corvan grinded his teeth. Every nerve on his body was telling him to stop with whatever nonsense Alovia was weaving and remove his hand from her death grip. But what held him back was that this was an official event. Everyone would be watching. Even in the midst of a crisis, as a leader, it was a requirement to keep up a cool façade amidst chaos.

But the first ranker knew he couldn't keep this up for long. His patience was wearing thin.

The duo trudged towards where the other dancers had successfully finished the Test and were waiting for the Dance of Yegon to begin.

Alovia had the audacity to lead the first ranker to where he was to stand. They stood next to nobles whom Corvan had never encountered or seen.

From across the ballroom, Lady Saskia was nodding encouragingly at Corvan, pride still shining in her eyes. This set off a series off different emotions in Corvan: embarrassment for letting down his family and failing the Masquerade Test and anger for allowing himself to be easily tricked just because he was eager to put an end to meaningless circling with strangers.

Corvan needed to know.

"How?" the Arlandian heir voiced out, knowing Alovia would know what he wanted to hear.

The countess laughed her tinkly laugh that Corvan always found so annoying. "Oh, Lord Corvan. We both know that I didn't stand a chance with you, but I did stand a chance as Valeriana."

The first ranker frowned at Alovia's statement.

"See, I followed them, and managed to bribe my way into getting Valeriana's chosen colors," Alovia leaned in and dropped her voice to a whisper as though she was telling juicy gossip. "After the rehearsals that day, I heard—what's her name again? The purple haired ranker—anyway, I heard they'd be going to the Central Business District to shop for dresses, and that's when the idea hit me."

Corvan's nose flared up in annoyance. "You told me you were going back to your country."

Alovia faked a gasp. "You were actually listening? Wow, I could never tell." Her voice suddenly turned grim. "On the rehearsals day, when I came to see you, you didn't think I noticed how you stole glances at that Valeriana girl when she was talking to the musicians?"