Cinders & Gold ◇ Final Touches

Small CorVal moment ahead

remember to vote and comment💜

•••

chapter thirty one
FINAL TOUCHES

On the day before the Autumn Ball, The Twelve had a lot on their plate but they seemed to play it cool under all the responsibilities that they had.

"Tamara," Valeriana trudged to the red haired ranker and placed a music sheet in her hands. "You'll be our lead singer, of course."

Tamara frowned at the paper. "These lyrics are too sappy for me. Who's dying?"

It was currently dusk and they were converged in their basement room after a whole day of running up and down trying to finish up the preparations. When morning had come, Charles had graced most rankers with an absurdly loud alarm—in which he literally yelled for Val to wake up—and the day started off on a sour note when some rankers had realized the DevDept had not showed up to help them.

Nevertheless, things rolled into motion. Keelan and Brindon paired up yet again to go over what had been set in the castle and to ensure that everything was in order. Tamara and Rowe followed them to complete their task on meeting up with the designers whose decorations would be used at the ball. Valeriana decided to tag along as well, seeing that they'd already had an inkling to what songs they would perform and all that remained was to meet up with the musicians at Krandlevur's Castle and give them what the Twelve had in store.

Corvan and Charles were not left behind as well, because since it was the last day, it was a common fact that dignitaries and high families would be arriving, and the two rankers deemed it fit to smoothen things a bit when it came to familiarising with the grim castle.

The rest of the rankers busied themselves with miscellaneous tasks until the day finally came to a close and all the rankers had converged yet again to do one last practice.

The instruments which they had used during the Ember Festival had been gathered in the basement, and Valeriana was trying to not to trip over them as she handed out the music sheets.

"It's a good song," said Val to Tamara. "Very fitting with the theme of the ball."

Tamara squinted at the paper and scanned the lyrics. "You with the sad eyes . . . it's hard to take courage . . . don't be afraid to let them show—heck! What is this? A mourning concert?!"

"I am of the opinion that it is an esthetic and ravishing piece," punctuated Raziel. He kept twitching his fingers as though he was strumming an invisible harp. "I can just picture the number of beating hearts that will squeeze in raw sentiments due to the cadence of this marvelous ballad."

Elfre, who was two seats away from the narcissist, rolled her eyes and faked a gag. "Ugh."

"Well, thank you Raziel," commented Val. "At least someone seems to be appreciating music from where I came from."

"I like it too," a voice said. All eyes turned to Zion and they saw him seated at almost the far corner of the room, an electric guitar in his hand which he seemed to strum mindlessly. The blue haired lad had his brows furrowed as he kept plucking at the chords at random and trying to get a feel of the instrument.

"I prefer the other song," said Aneeka. "Our big surprise for the king and prince."

Murmurs of agreement went through the room.

"That's actually one of my favourite songs," said Valeriana as she gave Elfre and Aneeka their music scores. "It reminds me so much of not giving up without trying hard enough even when things get tough."